Throw together Batch...thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 22118

Reaction score
So I just tossed together a batch yesterday and here is what it looks like:

8lbs Maris Otter 2 Row
2lbs Crystal 40
1 lb Red Wheat
1 lb Flaked Rye

1 oz Willamette (60min)
Irish Moss

Nottingham

It came out reddish amber and smelled nice. Not much hops and starting gravity of 1.054 at around a 65% efficiency. Looking to ferment for 10 days, bottle and then drink by day 20...

Think it will work?

Being in a hurry is never good, IMHO, but otherwise it looks like beer.

The standard recommendation around here is 21 days IN the bottle for bottle conditioning (carbing). I rarely bottle anything before 3 weeks from pitching. And the 42 day (if it went 3 weeks in the fermenter and 3 weeks in the bottle) product is still young beer that will improve greatly with age.

Can you do this - sure. Put some extra work into rousing the yeast in both fermentation and conditioning, and make sure the conditioning is nice and warm.

Having covered "can you" I'd suggest buying some beer for whatever is on in 20 days and giving this batch adequate time to be good, rather than just being.

Sorry, let me rephrase that. I have time to wait, I meant more with the recipe, how does it look?

I have never used Rye before and don't know if flaked rye will add anything really or did I just waste a pounds worth. I also have never used wheat and chose to go with this guy because I was told it helps with head retention. I like crystal 90L, so thought I would give 40L a try and I like how it tasted before it became beer.

The hops, sadly, are only about 18 IBU (all the hops I had at the time), but this is going to be a lighter style so we will see how that plays out. Maybe I will dry hop it to get a little more character :mug:...that is a good idea.

Does this recipe even look like anything or am I just pulling things together in a ludicrous way?

Looks to be a little malty to me - the IBU should be a little higher to counter the MO and 2 lbs of 40L. Just my opinion tho. I am no veteran.

Per the software I'm presently playing with, your rye added 5 points to your OG and should add a distinct rye flavor - since you liked the taste going in, hopefully what comes out will be good.

If you are look for "what judging category should I enter this into competition under", or "what style did I inadvertently re-invent" I can't help. It looks fine to me, and hopefully you'll come back and let us know how it tastes, and if you like it. If it needs altering, you can alter the next batch. If it's good, it's good.

If you knew ahead of time that you wanted more bittering, the simplest thing would have been to add time (and water) to the boil, given a fixed amount of hops on hand. Not being a hop-head, I'm not convinced it will be "bad" due to the low bitterness, but your own taste comes hugely into play here - I have friends who are hop-heads, and we simply have to agree to disagree about how much is enough (or too little, or too much).

I too am not too big a fan of super hoppy beers, however I like balance and so thought I had 1.5oz (25 IBU) and ended up with only 1oz (18 IBU). Hindsight being so damned clear, I realized as I threw the hops in at 60 minutes that I should have done it at hot break for 90 minutes. Oh well!

Why high on the Crystal for you Deathbrewer?

When I tasted this as it went into my fermenter there was definately something bitter, though I don't know what it is. I am hoping that it is both the rye and the hops (it was towards the end of the draining of the pot, where all the hops settle to).

Anyways I have no clue what this will taste like and didn't see any recipes that look similar so...hope it tastes good!

i wouldn't know if that was too much or too little bittering unless you give the AA% of the hops.

the rye will definitely add some "spicy bitterness"...could be very tasty.

the wheat malt could add head retention and a small amount of pleasant flavor.

the crystal will add a LOT of sweetness and i don't think i've ever seen 2 lbs in a 5 gal recipe before. i use very small amounts of crystal, if any, in my recipes.

it might be ok, but could be a bit overpowering.

Back