Throw down: What to brew for 1st AG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blacklab

Reaction score
Allright y'all;

Let me know what I should brew for my first AG. I am very partial to EdWort's Haus Pale due to his rockstar rep on the HBT and my recent apfelwein successes. I like the APA's and the IPA's and other lighter stuff but am open to anything that sounds tempting.

Make your case!

Thanks in advance for your help :mug:

Ed's Haus was my first AG, and it was great! I say do it (but up the 2 row a little to cover inefficiency)

APA is a good way to go. It is not complicated and it is somewhat forgiving.

That said, I usually recommend making your favorite extract recipe but converted to an AG recipe. That way you have your old extract version as a reference (either in a bottle right there or in your memory) to compare to the AG version.

If you need to get an extract recipe converted, just post it here. Plenty of people here can help you convert it to AG.

John Palmer recommends a brown ale. Here are detailed intructions and the recipe.

http://www.howtobrew.com/section3/chapter18.html

This was my first. Browns are good forgiving beers too.

I'd buy a pound or two of DME in case the extract percentage is low. You can add it before you boil. Buy light DME. You can add as much as 1lb of brown sugar too in this style. English versions use molassis.

You'd know at step 14.

14. Calculate how efficient your extraction was. Measure the gravity in the boiling pot and multiply the points by the number of gallons you collected. Then divide by the number of pounds of grain you used. The result should be somewhere around 30. 27 is okay, 29 is good, and over 30 is great. If it is 25 or below, you are lautering too fast or you are not getting good conversion in the mash, which could be caused by having too coarse a grist, the wrong temperature, not enough time, it got cold, or a pH factor, et cetera.​

1lb should bump 5 gal about .006 points

Good Luck! - I hope you don't need it after your mash!!

:mug:

mrk305 said:
Ed's Haus was my first AG, and it was great! I say do it (but up the 2 row a little to cover inefficiency)

So how much is 'a little bit'? 1# more?

Oh, and I'm a Safale-05 man. No nottingham, please. Must be the pink packaging on the safale that keeps me coming back.

blacklab said:
So how much is 'a little bit'? 1# more?

Oh, and I'm a Safale-05 man. No nottingham, please. Must be the pink packaging on the safale that keeps me coming back.

Yes 1 or 2 lbs

blacklab said:
Allright y'all;

Let me know what I should brew for my first AG. I am very partial to EdWort's Haus Pale due to his rockstar rep on the HBT and my recent apfelwein successes. I like the APA's and the IPA's and other lighter stuff but am open to anything that sounds tempting.

Make your case!

Thanks in advance for your help :mug:
It sounds like you have a great choice right there. It isn't too much grain for your first mash. You should go ahead and make it!

Following in the tradition of people being biased toward their first AG experience, I throw in the idea of doing Orfy's Hob Goblin, as someone on here recommended to me for my first. I can honestly say it was one of the tastiest beers I've ever made, and probably top-20 that I've ever had. Maybe even top-10 actually. I've since done EdWort's Pale Ale and while that one is decent, it "pales" in comparison. Anyway, good luck whatever you do!

blacklab said:
Deal: Ed's Haus.

thanks, everyone.

What's that? everyone's showing up at Ed's Haus for beer? What time? What's the address?.... oh, sorry wasn't paying attention... got sidetracked with Ed's recipe of apfelwein...at leased the new "how to" version by Red & Jester... OK back to your regularly scheduled thread....

My third AG was a variation of Ed's Haus... kegging on sat.

+1 on Eds house ale. I would be sure to acount for a low eff. and it should be great. I targeted my eff. to be 55 to 60 as a guess and was right so I upped the base malt to make up. turned out a bit light still but very tasty and quaffable.

I also think IPA or Pale Ale is good choces it will mask any problems that might come about..than move into brown ale, Porter, Sweet Sout, Heff, ect. I would perfect until u go into Lager..Bock, or dry stout.

Jay

I'm glad I did Ed's Haus as my first AG. I panicked a little when I undershot my gravity, and raised it with corn sugar. That probably wasn't necessarily, but it's still far and away the best beer I've ever made.

EDIT: It's the only AG I've tasted so far, but damn it's good.

Back