Threw together a pale ale today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 22118

Reaction score
I woke this morning and said, you know, let's brew! So I called up my brewing partner and he came over to some water heating up. We looked at our ingredients and put together a beer based on what we liked. Here is the recipe.

10 Gallons

1.056 / 1.014 / 32 IBU / 8 SRM

20lbs Marris Otter
1.5lbs Victory
.5lb Crystal 60L

1 oz Centennial FWH
.5oz Centennial 60min
.5oz Amarillo 60min
.5oz Centennial 10min
.5oz Amarillo 10min

WLP002 Yeast
Whirlifloc

Good recipe, doesn't cost much and we will have beer in two weeks! Good Times! I just figured that it cost me about fifty cents per glass. So I am right close to the price of a can of BMC.

I really like brewing based on the ingredients I have - its great fun. I've started harvesting/washing yeast and look forward to having a good supply of four strains of yeast - just grab one when I need it.

I need to get into harvesting yeast & buying my hops in bulk.

I'm not a terribly picky beer drinker so I'm confident I'd enjoy any beer I could throw together.

Found one of my favorite brews this way... Denton's Original Amateur (DOA) :)

5 gallons
10# Pale Malt
1# Carapils
1# Crystal 80
0.5 Cluster @ 60
0.75 Cluster @30
0.75 Cluster @ 3
1# Candi Sugar (Amber) - homemade
Irish moss
whatever clean fermenting yeast I have around

Tastes good enough people constantly request that I make it for their weddings and such and costs maybe $0.39/beer. About to try it with some victory to add nuttiness too.

I included the cost of yeast, although it was washed. I overestimated my hops as I got them from Hops Direct and they are like .75cents an oz, not $1.50. However, I also like to know that I can make a beer at full cost for under a buck even using new bottles. I love making something that is easy, inexpensive and quick. Of course, it means that I have to drink it as such as well :mug:

PS...I think this thing is done fermenting already. It was going like a madman and hopefully will finish up soon so that I can raise the temperature and get rid of that nasty Diacetyl!

Let us know how the receipe turns out. I have a bunch f Amarillo, cascade and wlp002 oh hand and have always wondered how the 002 would treat those hops.

Turned out very nice, a beautiful golden color and a hint of roast that will go away in the next month to let the malt really come out. Nice amount of bitter, though not overwhelming. A very soft beer that tastes great and is perfect for the warming weather.

Back