Threw this together

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keg2881

Reaction score
I just threw this recipe together, first one that I have personally come up with. I've been wanting something with middle of the road hoppy beer with a lower ABV. I bought some bulk hops from a group buy. So here is what I came up with let me know what you all think. I will also be using yeast that I have washed.

house pale
American Pale Ale

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
16.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 80.00 %
2.00 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 10.00 %
2.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 30L (30.0 SRM) Grain 10.00 %
2.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 38.9 IBU
2.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
2.00 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (30 min) Hops 14.9 IBU
1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.054 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.010 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.013 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.005 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.32 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 0.65 %
Bitterness: 53.8 IBU Calories: 43 cal/pint
Est Color: 7.0 SRM Color: Color

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge Total Grain Weight: 20.00 lb
Sparge Water: 9.50 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F TunTemperature: 90.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: TRUE Mash PH: 5.4 PH

Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge Step Time Name Description Step Temp
75 min Mash In Add 25.00 qt of water at 164.4 F 150.0 F

Mash Notes: Simple single infusion mash for use with most modern well modified grains (about 95% of the time).
Carbonation and Storage

Carbonation Type: Kegged (Forced CO2) Volumes of CO2: 2.5
Pressure/Weight: 12.3 PSI Carbonation Used: -
Keg/Bottling Temperature: 40.0 F Age for: 14.0 days
Storage Temperature: 40.0 F

It looks good. The only thing I might change is spread you hop bill out over 3 or 4 addtions. It seems to give the beer a more full rounded hop flavor and aroma that way.

It looks great thought. I'd drinking it!

Looks great, my only thought is that you aren't getting any flavor or aroma from the 2oz of Centennial, which seems like kind of a shame. If you have a buncha hops, maybe go 1oz for bittering, then 1 at 20 and 1 at 10? It won't have the same bitterness but it will have more hop flavor and aroma. Just my $.02. Cheers!

I'd move the willy add later to get more flavor out of it. since you already got 10% crystal, I'd ditch the carapils, its kinda a waste. maybe use a more charaterful malt like vienna/munich or a lil victory or the like instead. just 2-row and C30 is certainly fine as well though.

Well I just went and looked at the 1056 that I washed and it doens't look like it will be good for a pale ale, I washed it when I made my last batch of FBS. What are some other good yeasts to use for a pale ale? I'll have a cake of wlp001 come Saturday, maybe I should pitch on to that and then use a different yeast for the other 5 gallons.

I wouldnt recommend pitching on the whole cake. 002, 004, 005, 007, 051 also work pretty well in a pale ale, of course they're all not as attenuative or neutral as 001, so kinda depends what you want out of the yeast.

I wouldnt necessaryily split up the willy, just move it to like 15mins or later. the flavor from a 30min add is kinda subpar, with no aroma to speak of. like the yeast tho, kinda depends what you're looking to get out of it

I wouldnt recommend pitching on the whole cake. 002, 004, 005, 007, 051 also work pretty well in a pale ale, of course they're all not as attenuative or neutral as 001, so kinda depends what you want out of the yeast.

I wouldnt necessaryily split up the willy, just move it to like 15mins or later. the flavor from a 30min add is kinda subpar, with no aroma to speak of. like the yeast tho, kinda depends what you're looking to get out of it

Why not use the whole cake? I'd like a neutral good drinkin pale that everyone will like.

Take the willy and divided it into four 0.5oz additions. Add them at 40, 30, 20 and 10 mins.
You will have a few points lower IBUs but not enough to real tell. (don't what equipment you use ect... but my calculation show a decrease or 4 IBUs. that is below the human taste threshold.) Plus the added hops flavor and aroma will make the beer seem hoppier than the IBU rating would indicate.

Latest posts

Back