Threw oranges in secondary but no more fermination

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

texwake

Reaction score
So a week after I bewed a Heff I threw some blood oranges in the secondary and racked the 5 gallons of heff on top of it. Fearing that it would ferment again because im adding sugar I used a 6 gallon container so it would not blow the airlock off. I measured the gravity before racking and it was at 1.011 and I had an OG of 1.039 and my estimated FG is 1.010. I have been checking the airlock and its not fermenting anymore, the inner lock has not moved since I racked it and im scared that this is not good becasue I introduced a raw fruit into my beer. What do I do? Do I have anything to fear?

Thanks!

Most fermentation is already done at this point, so no fears as far as blow-offs or anything like that. For the same reason, infection is also unlikely given you took proper precautions.

Your probably ok, do you still have some trub/yeast in it in suspension after the transfer?

Depending on how many blood oranges you put in it just might not be enough sugar to do much...

How much did you put in exactly?

For example many fruit recipes call for putting in 1# per gallon for sweet fruits like strawberry's, etc...

Maybe I missed it, but did you put the whole fruit in? Or just the zest? Or mashed them up? The yeast don't have access to the inside sugars of the fruit, you shouldn't expect any more active fermentation.

Typically with citrus additions, only the zest is added and no secondary fermentation takes place. With citrus additions, be careful because the pith (white part under the zest) is bitter and the juice can sometimes lead to a funky acidity like flavor in a beer. Think drinking orange juice and beer together.

Maybe I missed it, but did you put the whole fruit in? Or just the zest? Or mashed them up? The yeast don't have access to the inside sugars of the fruit, you shouldn't expect any more active fermentation.

Typically with citrus additions, only the zest is added and no secondary fermentation takes place. With citrus additions, be careful because the pith (white part under the zest) is bitter and the juice can sometimes lead to a funky acidity like flavor in a beer. Think drinking orange juice and beer together.

I put the whole fruit in but discarded as much of the peel and pith as possible. No zest. Ive done this before and it turned out great, but it was just weird that It did not ferment again like last time. I guess time is going to tell on this one. I will update next sunday when I might bottle it.

Maybe your bucket or stopper wasnt fully sealed? If it did referment it likely happened quickly so you may have missed it if thats the case.

Latest posts

Back