Three-section wire shelves

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SmokeyRydr

BeachMonkey.Beer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm building a wire-rack stand based upon three-sections of 18"×18" wire racks.

With two kits (Muscle Rack 59 in. H x 18 in. W x 18 in. D 5-Shelf Wire Chrome Finish Commercial Shelving Unit) for about $75 total, I can get the 8 poles and 10 shelves needed.

I was inspired by the 3-Tier shelf converted to brew cart post by @greeney87. But without the need cutout holes in the shelves.

Looking for any thoughts or advice on this setup.
Below is my rough schematic I plan to build.
B=Burner
K=Kettle
LP=LP Tank
MT=Mash Tun
HLT=Hot Liquor Tank
P=Pump
Not labeled, Counterflow chiller
the thick lines represent the shelving sections.

2018_11_14%205_59%20PM%20Office%20Lens.jpeg

Cheers!

Last edited:
Am I right that the only thing that keeps the shelves in place are plastic compression sleeves that might soften when exposed to heat allowing a shelf to suddenly dip?

Cheers!

[edit] Considering greeney87 abandoned his construction I wonder if you lined up behind the wrong paradigm...

Am I right that the only thing that keeps the shelves in place are plastic compression sleeves that might soften when exposed to heat allowing a shelf to suddenly dip?

Cheers!

[edit] Considering greeney87 abandoned his construction I wonder if you lined up behind the wrong paradigm...
Yes. But you'll notice that there are no planned joints near the burner. But as mentioned in other posts, a few dollars on muffler clamps is a great insurance policy...

Ok, the shelving was delivered and here's my initial setup. I'm pretty happy with it for $75 in shelving.

Notice that I removed the propane tank and lowered the CFC from the original design. After thinking about it, I may raise the CFC back up again so I can gravity feed into carboy.

I still plan on adding a heat-shield around the burner and hose-clamps on the joints near the burner for safety before I give it my first run.

The third bay is really not needed (pictured right), as burner and kettle could simply stand alone.

As always, comments are suggestions are welcome.

20181128_143547 (2).jpg

Cheers!
/Smokey

I just realized a couple things...

1) by inverting the CFC, and drain from the bottom, it will reduce the wort loss.
2) by raising the CFC higher it can drain directly into the fermenter.

Here's the updated layout.
20181128_191256.jpeg

Ok, here's the updated update...

I raised the MT and Kettle level to help prime the pump, then added a bleader valve to it, and finally moved it inside the brewshed.

We're run two batches through and am super happy.

Final note: the 18" square shelving is perfect if you want to be minimalist. It's just enough for the gear. But 24" would be a bit easier to I've things around.
20190117_181235.jpeg
20190115_093119.jpeg
20190121_191828.jpeg

Back