American Pale Ale Three Floyds Zombie Dust Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm going to brew this in a few weeks but will use WLP005 instead of WLP002. Anyone used WLP005 for this yet?

I haven't used WLP005, British Ale, for this beer. My primary yeast for this beer is a Conan strain (trying out Omega's OYL-052 tonight!). Conan adds a great flavor to the beer. If you can't get that, try using WLP066, London Fog. It's a good one too.

I haven't used WLP005, British Ale, for this beer. My primary yeast for this beer is a Conan strain (trying out Omega's OYL-052 tonight!). Conan adds a great flavor to the beer. If you can't get that, try using WLP066, London Fog. It's a good one too.
Ok thanks for the reply :)
I don't have any Conan or WLP066.
I do have Omega Juice A38, WY1098 and WLP005 so it will have to be one of those if going liquid.
Mangrove Jacks M42 dry yeast would also be an option.

IMG_20190301_121126761.jpg

First time brewing this clone. 2 weeks in fermentor, 1 week in keg and this is a fantastic beer. I hope to snag a couple of bottles of from 3 Floyd's soon as a comparison. I suspect mine is much darker and cloudier (I am not too concerned with cosmetics) but would love to see how close in aroma and flavor I got. Regardless this one is a keeper and could be my new favorite recipe.

Ive got the grain already and just waiting for the citra to show up so hoping to finally get this done. I havnt read thru all the posts, so sorry if this has been asked before, but what day is everybody dry hopping? Is this considered like a hazy style ipa? So should i be dry hopping on like day 2, during ferment activity? Or are you guys waiting till your close to terminal to dry hop?
Thanks for the help

Ive got the grain already and just waiting for the citra to show up so hoping to finally get this done. I havnt read thru all the posts, so sorry if this has been asked before, but what day is everybody dry hopping? Is this considered like a hazy style ipa? So should i be dry hopping on like day 2, during ferment activity? Or are you guys waiting till your close to terminal to dry hop?
Thanks for the help

I dry hopped 5 days before kegging.

There’s always a balance to strike there, but 5 days is a good standard. If you leave it too long you can start to get some harsh grassy flavours. Too little and you won’t get all you paid for with your hops - one of the most expensive ingredients for home brew. I also like to condition the beer after it’s dry hopped, for about 5 days, to get rid of some of the harsh bite of the fresh hops. But that’s all a matter of taste.

I have 5 gallons bubbling away with Conan right now, I am hoping it is a good one!

Thank you for the response guys. I agree that I definitely had no plans to go beyond 5 days for dry hopping, was just getting some idea as to when. I wasnt sure if I should be dry hopping at high krausen like a hazy style ipa, or towards the end of fermentation. I like the suggestion of doing it the last 5 days before racking to keg, I would imagine that would give me the best hop aroma.
Thanks all

Thank you for the response guys. I agree that I definitely had no plans to go beyond 5 days for dry hopping, was just getting some idea as to when. I wasnt sure if I should be dry hopping at high krausen like a hazy style ipa, or towards the end of fermentation. I like the suggestion of doing it the last 5 days before racking to keg, I would imagine that would give me the best hop aroma.
Thanks all

Zombie Dust isn't a NEIPA. If you want to truly try to clone it dry hop after FG. If you look at pictures of the real beer it's not hazy but has a pretty decent malt backbone(darker color). I've never had the original but my clone was probably the best beer I did last year.

Zombie Dust isn't a NEIPA. If you want to truly try to clone it dry hop after FG. If you look at pictures of the real beer it's not hazy but has a pretty decent malt backbone(darker color). I've never had the original but my clone was probably the best beer I did last year.

Did you just use the recipe from page 1? I’ve went thru many posts and will be brewing this on Sunday but want to make sure I use the right recipe.
Thank You!

Did you just use the recipe from page 1? I’ve went thru many posts and will be brewing this on Sunday but want to make sure I use the right recipe.
Thank You!

Looking back at my recipe, it is pretty much the same as page 1 except I used 40L instead of 60L. I don't know if that's because it's what I had or somewhere in the thread someone liked the lighter crystal. I also used carapils instead of carafoam. Aside from that it's the same and turned out real nice with S-04 yeast.

Brewed this. Definately hazy even with whirfloc. I am assuming due to all the dry hops. My citra AA was 13.8% so I had to dail hop schedule back a bit and I wanted to be a bit lower at 59.5 to get closer the 3F 50 IBU
20190328_135751.jpeg
Screenshot_20190328-140027.jpeg

Brewed a batch last weekend, and realized after the fact that I had 4oz left over instead of 3. There “may” have been a little drinking involved and I’m not sure which addition got skipped :drunk: . Oh well, I’m pretty sure it was a late addition, so I’ll just throw the extra oz in the dry hop bag......
This of course is destined to be the best beer yet since I won’t know how to reproduce it!

I do not have the Melanoiden Malt. Can I just take this out of the recipe with out bad effects?

I do not have the Melanoiden Malt. Can I just take this out of the recipe with out bad effects?

It only makes up ~4% of the grist so subbing in something else shouldn't drastically change your final product. I've never had the original so I can't comment on how close my clone using melanoidin came. None of these clone recipes ever come out 100% identical so there's nothing wrong with tinkering.

What mash temps are you guys doing to achieve a relatively high FG of 1.018?

I know for sure if I were to mash this recipe at 152 with S-04, I would probably hit about 1.007-1.010.

Last time I used S-04 I made the Cascades Orange Pale ale, partial mash (50% gain 50% DME), mashed at 153, and I landed at 1.010.

With US-05, my recent all-grain batch was mashed at 152.5, and it looks like it should end around 1.007. I mashed at 149 once with US-05 and landed at like 1.005....that's serious attenuation.

I made a kettle sour (all grain) and used some munich dry yeast...mashed at 152, and it looks like it's going to land at 1.010, and that's including bugs getting in the way of what would be an even higher attenuation %...

So I'm just wondering how I'm going to end up at 1.018 with a 152F mash temp based on my experience.

Last edited:
Never even noticed the orig recipe FG. I’ve made this twice and finished 1.010 on first and 1.011 on next batch. 1.018 is high. Don’t know if that was anticicipated or actual number.....

On the topic of yeast to try, while its not easy to get you should try WLP075 - Hansen Ale Yeast from the White Labs Vault. Hands down, that yeast with this recipe produced one of the best beers I've ever brewed!

I'm on the vault waiting list for this yeast and cant wait to brew this combo again!

Here ya go! There's some condensation on the glass but its otherwise clear.

View attachment 621376
How are you managing your hops and clearing? I use a hop spider and then hop socks for dry hoping, whirfloc in boil. I can honestly say I don't cold crash tho as I only use a danby kegerator and the space inside is needed for beer on tap

How are you managing your hops and clearing? I use a hop spider and then hop socks for dry hoping, whirfloc in boil. I can honestly say I don't cold crash tho as I only use a danby kegerator and the space inside is needed for beer on tap

I typically use nylon paint strainer bags both in the boil and when dry hopping. Whirlfloc in the boil as well. I sometimes will cold crash but dont always do so and still get clear beer!

Batch Size: 6 gallons
Estimated Original Gravity: 1.065
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.018
Estimated Color: 8.5 SRM
Bitterness: 65.9 IBU
Mash Temp: 152 F

Ingredients Amount Item Type % or IBU
11.75 lb 2 Row (2.0 SRM) Grain 81.7 %
1.13 lb Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 7.8 %
0.50 lb Carafoam (2.0 SRM) Grain 3.5 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 3.5 %
0.50 lb Melanoiden Malt (20.0 SRM) Grain 3.5 %
1.25 oz Citra [12.40%] (15 min) Hops 21.1 IBU
0.75 oz Citra [12.40%] (First Wort Hop) Hops 17.0 IBU
1.25 oz Citra [12.40%] (10 min) Hops 15.4 IBU
1.25 oz Citra [12.40%] (5 min) Hops 8.5 IBU
1.25 oz Citra [12.40%] (1 min) Hops 1.8 IBU
3.00 oz Citra [12.40%] (Dry Hop 5-7 days) Hops - (used to say 10, i use 5-7 now)
SafAle English Ale (S-04)
0r
Wyeast 1968

Here is the extract/PM conversion:

Batch Size: 5g
Boil Volume: 3g

6.00 lb Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 70.6 %
1.00 lb Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 11.8 %
0.50 lb Carafoam (2.0 SRM) Grain 5.9 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 5.9 %
0.50 lb Melanoiden Malt (20.0 SRM) Grain 5.9 %
1.00 oz Citra [12.40%] (60 min) Hops 25.1 IBU
0.75 oz Citra [12.40%] (First Wort Hop) Hops 12.5 IBU
1.00 oz Citra [12.40%] (15 min) Hops 12.4 IBU
1.00 oz Citra [12.40%] (10 min) Hops 9.1 IBU
1.00 oz Citra [12.40%] (5 min) Hops 5.0 IBU
1.00 oz Citra [12.40%] (1 min) Hops 1.1 IBU
3.00 oz Citra [12.40%] (Dry Hop 10 days) Hops -
SafAle English Ale (S-04)
or
Wyeast 1968

This is assuming a 3g boil, so if you can do a full boil remove the extra oz of hops at 60minutes.

Ferment at 65F for 7-10 days

The FWH addition's IBUs are calculated as a 20 minute addition to better calculate the perceived IBUs. They are boiled the whole 60 minutes.

This recipe has had favorable results with both S-04 and WY1968. For more information here is the original thread from the Recipes/Ingredients section: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/3-floyds-zombie-dust-attempt-help-info-requested-245456/
Use either yeast! It’s great either way. Actually I would suggest trying both with a double batch. I have brewed this recipe several times and it remains my favorite clone of any PALE ALE or IPA for that matter. Absolutely the best recipe I have ever found. Love It Love it Love it

This is my second batch of this. I'm a new Brewer - my first batch of this was my first or second all grain and my second batch is my 4th. Thanks for the great recipe - really love it!

20190603_184605.jpg

Use either yeast! It’s great either way. Actually I would suggest trying both with a double batch. I have brewed this recipe several times and it remains my favorite clone of any PALE ALE or IPA for that matter. Absolutely the best recipe I have ever found. Love It Love it Love it

Might be worth a try with MJ36 too. In my opinion a nicer yeast than S04. My one attempt was with MJ42 and turned out great but would like to try a yeast with lower attenuation.

Medic! Medic! Please respond ASAP.

TIme to dry hop two car boys. HBS only has one package of Citra left...

Need an interesting substitution for the other...Simcoe?

Last edited:
Mosaic actually makes sense...

Since I got one carboy taken care of, it seems worthwhile to experiment.

Have brewed this multiple times, always a popular one with friends and family. I even had it as one of my wedding beers, it was fantastic. Thanks for the recipe.

I brewed this 5 days ago and I am drinking it now. Fermented under pressure at 28 psi and was complete in 48 hours. Dry hopped for two days and kegged it today. It was already carbed from pressure fermentation. I tasted it after 48 of dry hop and determined there was no chance of it getting better, but rather only lose hop character with time. I have never had the original but it tastes identical to Bearded Iris’ Homestyle. This is a great beer.

I've gotten a few 6 packs of this recently and I don't think 3F are using as much Melanoidin or Crystal malt these days, the color is a light amber, rather than a deep amber: Zombie Dust - 3 Floyds Brewing Company | Photos - Untappd
I think west coast IPA overall is changing and moving away from the old malty profiles to a more subtle one.

Random pic from untappd with good light:
Capture.JPG

Last edited:
I finally got my gf to see Army of Darkness because it was on the tube at the taproom in Munster. That paired with several pints of ZD and a steady mix of dark metal records spinning made for a superb experience. I can't go back anytime soon so I'll just have to try making my own.

Well, the good news is their distro looks like it's massively expanding and it'll be available in new states soon like Virginia, for people who want to actually compare their clone to the original. Too bad they had to shut down their brew pub.

Back