Three Floyds Yum Yum

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

copper2hopper

Reaction score
Absolutely phenomenal beer from Three Floyds here. Enjoying my first ever Yum Yum tonight from a six pack I scored. Anyone have a recipe for this???? Or anything close to it? Other than Zombie Dust. I also love that stuff and have brewed the clone recipe 5 times now. Just seeing if anyone can come up with this recipe

I've already communicated this to Copper, but we know that the hops are German and proprietary. Can anyone at least offer up a list of German proprietary hops?

And it was P&J that was removed from circulation. Pride is a good, but was just too regular for me for the price.

Hallertau blanc, hüll melon, mandarins. I Don't know of any others as of 1/2015. Should be obtainable by now. Barnaby and Nick get first access to everything it seems.

At the risk of being obnoxious, is there a link to a thread with a recipe? Anyone successful and willing to share? My fermenter is empty and this would be fantastic.

I had a Three Floyds Yum Yum from tap last night. WOW! This stuff is great. Backstory: I love the summer version of Sun King Fistful of Hops. Their winter version (blue) tastes too "dark" for me, but the summer (orange) is bright and lively. So last night, I tasted the Three Floyds Yum Yum. I liked it better than the Sun King. Bright, lively, and light on the palate. In comparison, the Three Floyds Gumballhead is a little darker and very grapefruity. The Yum Yum is hoppy and spicey, compared to the Gumballhead's citrusy and grapefruity. I like the lighter and livelier Yum Yum over the Gumballhead. Easily. And I'm getting tired of grapefruit beers.

My "Big 9oz'er" was an attempt to recreate the Sun King Fistful of Hops (Orange). I used Warrior for bittering and Palisade, Mosaic, and Huell Melon on top. Used Imperial A20 "Citrus" to get all of the funk. Turned out great.

So here's my attempt at a variation of Yum Yum. It needs to be light-bodied, light on the palate, bright, and lively. But not citrusy and fruity. Instead, spicy. Not "dark earthy spicy" but "bright lively spicy". This recipe does not have any grain additions (extract-only) to control the mouthfeel and palate. The Napoleon B64 was chosen to hit low FG.

2 x 3.3lb of Briess 2°L CBW Pilsen Light
Imperial Yeast Napoleon B64
60 minute – 1oz German Polaris (+48 IBU)
15 minute – 1oz German Polaris (+34 IBU)
12 minute – 5 teaspoons yeast nutrient
10 minute – Whirlfloc Tablet
3 minute – 2oz German Polaris (+18 IBU)
Dry Hop – 3oz German Polaris

Total is 100 IBU from 7oz of German Polaris

Hops are added into a mesh hop basket in the boil kettle. After boil, cold crash to ~70°F using immersion chiller. Transfer entire boil kettle to conical fermenter (residue will be removed later). Oxygenate with bottled O2 and diffuser stone for 1 minute. Take refractometer sample. Pitch yeast (1 can of Imperial Yeast). Let rest for 1-2 hours and remove cold break fallout from bottom of conical. Wait three days and purge crud from concial valve (otherwise will clog). Wait three days and purge again. Take refractometer sample. Stir fermenter to agitate yeast. If FG is within target range, add dry hop charge in mesh basket. Wait 1 more week. Purge conical and keg.

Last edited by a moderator:
Moors, thank you for the response. What is the OG and FG for your recipe? Also what yeast did you use from Imperial? My wife loves Yum Yum and based on its availability is love to try this.

Edit: I see the yeast now. Still curious on OG and FG.

Back