Threaded Duotight for force carb

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PilotoHan

Reaction score
Hello all,

I would like to force carb a Sanke keg. Normally the beer line is connected to the faucet and no beer is lost during force carbonation. However, the other keg I want forced, has no faucet. I want to use a Duotight female threaded onto my D coupler beer out line.

Do Duotight fitting seal when there is no beer line attached to a faucet?
In other words, I have noticed others using the penny method to seal the beer line during force carb. Will a Duotight threaded to coupler suffice? Or be attached to the faucet during forc carb?
Thank you all.
926EA7EB-41A9-43A9-A50C-C70F0A4F2DF9.png

If there isn't something that seals on both of those duotights you have pictured there, you're going to have problems. You'll need something connected to each of those, one I'm assuming will be your CO2, the other will need to be something that seals. Without something attached to it, it's just basically a threaded piece of tubing, open on both ends.

Edit: Can you just not put one of those fittings on the beer out side? I've never used sanke kegs, but I would assume if there's nothing attached to the beer out side, it's sealed, correct?

Edit 2: So did my own research and answered my own question in edit 1. You'll definitely need to attach something that seals to the beer out side of the sanke tap.

Very well, then I guess the penny seal must be utilized.
Never tried the penny seal, would it work with the Duotight fitting shown above?

Very well, then I guess the penny seal must be utilized.
Never tried the penny seal, would it work with the Duotight fitting shown above?

Yes, it seems the penny is the most popular option. I did see someone mention at some point to back it up with an o-ring, but not sure how the o-ring would look/work since I haven't played with Sanke kegs just yet. But yea, beer nut and penny seems to be your best bet. I'd test with really low pressure to start just in case, haha.

Should also work with a Duotight beer nut, correct?
I don’t think there should be a difference between beer nuts. Penny should fit in both.

Should also work with a Duotight beer nut, correct?
I don’t think there should be a difference between beer nuts. Penny should fit in both.

I would think so as well. It's a standardized size, so if the duotight fits the same place a beer nut fits, I think you're good.

Back