Thoughts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redwards81

Reaction score
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1405464891.342250.jpg

I am doing a cider using a Liquid Labs sweet mead yeast. I just went to transfer and saw a few of these. I have no bad smell it actually smells pretty darn good. Any thoughts???

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

That's mold. You must have too much headspace in there.

I'd rack from under it, hit it with campden tablets (one per gallon, crushed, and dissolved in 1/4 cup boiling water, and make sure it's topped up in the next carboy so it can't mold. It might be too late, but it's worth trying to save.

Yooper, I think this is the first time I saw you post something a little off base? Dissolving camden IN boiling water is just going to drive the sulfur out. When we used camden we just ground them up with a spoon in a cup and added a little water and dumped it in. Are you trying to sterilize the water with heat before you do it with sulfur?

You might want to up the dose 50% since you have an active infection, topping off is good advice, or have a fast cider party!

WVMJ

I went ahead and did the campsen tablets fingers crossed

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Yooper, I think this is the first time I saw you post something a little off base? Dissolving camden IN boiling water is just going to drive the sulfur out. When we used camden we just ground them up with a spoon in a cup and added a little water and dumped it in. Are you trying to sterilize the water with heat before you do it with sulfur?

You might want to up the dose 50% since you have an active infection, topping off is good advice, or have a fast cider party!

WVMJ

No, not to sterilize it- it dissolves instantly in hot water, and then it goes right into the carboy. It's much easier than trying to crush/stir/dissolve in room temperature wine or water. You just crush, add the water (a tiny bit) and stir once, and dump.

Its a whole lot easier to just buy a pound of KM and use a spoon:) WVMJ

Add 1/4 tsp KM to 2 TBSp water, add 1 tsp to gallon, works really well if you are doing multiple gallon jugs at once:) A lot easier than boiling water and dissolving those tablets. I have a bunch left over from when we were beginners I would be glad to send out:) WVMJ

Back