Thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasonogle38

Reaction score
My wife has been playing with the dehydrator she got for Christmas. She hasn't liked the way her apples pieces(she is trying for chips) have been coming out so I thought hmm wonder how they would go in my batch of Cider when it goes to my secondary. I would think it would flavor it up pretty good

You could take a collander and fit it into a pot just above boiling water and steam the for 15-20 minutes. Or you could soak them in vodka, or bourbon, or any other distilled spirits for a week or so, then chuck it all in.

what about freezing first? The added benefit of freezing is that most home freezers freeze so slowly that long ice crystals are formed, shredding cell walls and releasing goodness upon thawing. You still want to heat treat the slush somehow before adding it though, as freezing won't actually kill bacteria, it simply suppress activity at that temperature.

My wife has been playing with the dehydrator she got for Christmas. She hasn't liked the way her apples pieces(she is trying for chips) have been coming out so I thought hmm wonder how they would go in my batch of Cider when it goes to my secondary. I would think it would flavor it up pretty good

Jason, I have made apple chips before on my dehydrator. The secret is thinner the apple slice the more chip like it will be once dried. Personally, I liked the apple chips fried over dried. :eek:

Back