Thoughts with a Kolsch recipe.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duke145

Reaction score
I'm looking to brew a basic Kolsch, It's my 4th all grain batch since a 6 year hiatus, Thus the simple malt bill but it seems to fit the style. I'm looking for any advise or thoughts you all may have.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 10.50 gal
Bottling Volume: 10.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.043 SG
Estimated Color: 4.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 26.3 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 77.1 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
15 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 88.2 %
2 lbs Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 2 11.8 %
2.00 oz German Tradition [6.00 %] - Boil 60.0 mi Hop 3 22.1 IBUs
1.00 oz Spalt Spalter [3.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 4 4.2 IBUs
2.10 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 5 -
1.0 pkg Kolsch Yeast (Wyeast Labs #2565) [124.21 Yeast 6 -

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 17 lbs
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 21.25 qt of water at 161.2 F 148.0 F 75 min

Sparge: Batch sparge with 3 steps (Drain mash tun , 6.13gal, 2.55gal) of 168.0 F water
Notes:
------

Created with BeerSmith 2 - http://www.beersmith.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looks good to me. The munich aint super traditional, but its 10%, it will be fine if you want a little more malt flavor.

If you dont have good temp control wlp029 is a touch more forgiving of a kolsch yeast.

I like to ferment with 2565 on the colder end of the range. And then give it about 3-4 weeks at <=40F.

EDIT: Weeks, not degrees.

Thanks.

Would Vienna be better? I'm not stuck on the Munich.

Thanks for the heads up on the yeast, I do have a freezer I ferment in so I can condition it properly.

I'm no hop guru but what is the point of the 30 minute addition? I believe you won't get much flavour from it if that is what you are intending. If you want it for bitterness then you could put it back to 60 or if you want flavour bring it forward to 10 or flame out.

Is there a reason why you are putting in the munich or vienna? It may end up more like a Munich Helles than a Kolsch which is not a bad thing.

I'd forgo munich or vienna. A simple, but good, Kolsch:

9 lbs German Pils
8 oz wheat for head retention

Mash at 148F for 90 minutes

Hallertau for 20-22 ibus, all at 60 left in the boil

90 min boil
WLP029 yeast

Thanks.

Would Vienna be better? I'm not stuck on the Munich.

Thanks for the heads up on the yeast, I do have a freezer I ferment in so I can condition it properly.

I'm with lumpher. Pils is the only malt you need here and a small bit of wheat malt will help give you that beautiful dense white head. A lot of contemporary American homebrew Kolsch recipes seem to include Vienna and/or Munich malt. Humbug! The recommendations of 2565 and WLP-029 yeasts are both good. Personally I like the 30 minute hop addition. I think it adds a nice touch of flavor and a whisper of aroma.

Thanks for all the advise! So I took out the Munich and added Wheat malt in beersmith, the only problem I see is that the color is below the recommended minimum. I have never brewed a beer so light in color and my concern is that it may look too watery or unappealing in some way. Is the color really a problem at that level?

Recipe Specifications
Estimated OG: 1.047 SG
Estimated Color: 3.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 25.8 IBUs

Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
17 lbs Pilsner (Weyermann) (1.7 SRM) Grain 1 94.4 %
1 lbs Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 5.6 %
2.00 oz German Tradition [6.00 %] - Boil 60.0 mi Hop 3 21.7 IBUs

Total Grain Weight: 18 lbs
Mash In Add 22.50 qt of water at 162.0 F 148.0 F 90 min

Sparge: Batch sparge with 3 steps (Drain mash tun , 5.93gal, 2.80gal) of 168.0 F water

I was going to suggest a 90 min boil. Some people think a 60 min boil is fine when using this much pilsner malt, but I always do a 90 min boil just to ensure all DMS is driven off. Cooked cabbage is not something I like to taste in my beer.

Thanks for all the advise! So I took out the Munich and added Wheat malt in beersmith, the only problem I see is that the color is below the recommended minimum. I have never brewed a beer so light in color and my concern is that it may look too watery or unappealing in some way. Is the color really a problem at that level?

Recipe Specifications
Estimated OG: 1.047 SG
Estimated Color: 3.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 25.8 IBUs

Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
17 lbs Pilsner (Weyermann) (1.7 SRM) Grain 1 94.4 %
1 lbs Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 5.6 %
2.00 oz German Tradition [6.00 %] - Boil 60.0 mi Hop 3 21.7 IBUs

Total Grain Weight: 18 lbs
Mash In Add 22.50 qt of water at 162.0 F 148.0 F 90 min

Sparge: Batch sparge with 3 steps (Drain mash tun , 5.93gal, 2.80gal) of 168.0 F water

That's much better. Just make sure you use plenty of yeast, and ferment at 56-58

Also: Only need one whirlfloc tablet. Last Kolsch I did, I added a touch of honey malt. Worked out well.

Sounds great, I'll make a nice 2L starter and be sure to keep the temps nice and cool in my chest freezer.

My next step is to figure out what to do with my water. From what I have read my water is suited for a beer with a SRM in the teens, bwloe is my profile, any thought on this?

Water 2015.jpg

I am not exactly a water guru, but I know how to get my water profile close enough to where I'd like it. For light colored beers like this one, I'd usually dilute half of my total water with RO or Distilled water. I'm in Chicago where the water is much harder than what you have there in Vermont. You might be able to get away with 100% tap water, but the pH may need to be adjusted.

I think if you follow these simple rules, you should have good results : https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=198460

I'll keep reading, then I'll just have to wait for another unseasonably warm day so I can get a brew session in. :)

Back