Thoughts on this water report

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nummey

Reaction score
Hi,
I'll be moving into a new house in the next couple of months that has a private well. As part of the inspection we had a water test done. For past brews, ive used bottled spring water and do partial mash brews and have been happy with the resutls. For ease of use, Id love to just use water from the tap but not sure what I'm dealing with.
Does anything jump out as alarming on the below figures? Would you brew with this water? Apologies for the newb question.

Sodium - 20.56 mg/L
Potassium - 3.93mg/L
Calcium - 72.06 mg/L
PH -7.63
TDS - 528.6mg/L
Alkalinity - 102.5
Chloride - 150.81
Hardness - 256 mg/L
Nitrate - 4.69 mg/L
Sulfate - 18.71 mg/L

Hi,

Does anything jump out as alarming on the below figures? Would you brew with this water?

The high chloride is bad enough that I probably wouldn't brew with that water. Sorry =( . Since it's a new house, maybe you might consider installing an RO filter?

That is very similar to my water report...though my Na is much, much higher. I use it but I usually dilute it at least by 50% with RO water, and usually about 2/3 dilution....
I have brewed with it straight though and made good beer.

You could make a 1 gal batch with RO and 1 with tap water and see if you can taste the difference......

Back