Thoughts on this recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jtk78

I'm here for the beer!
Reaction score
I'm am dangerously low on home brew. Partially because I had to dump a batch, partiality because I brewed a low carb beer for my wife I don't want to drink all of, and mostly because it's been too cold when I can brew. Either way, I'm going to try next week to brew 2 batches, and would like some feedback on this nearly Smash recipe. The other batch is still up in the air, but I will probably do a large mash and split the runnings equally, adding some specialty grains to one for a stout/porter/brown ale (still undecided).

95.8% Maris Otter
4.2% Cara-Pils
Mash at 152F to a targeted OG of 1.064.

1.5oz Centennial 60 mins
1.5oz Centennial 5 mins
1.5oz Centennial whirlpool with pump and arm for 20 mins starting at 170F
1.5oz Centennial dryhop 5 days
US-05 dry yeast

I also would drop the carapils but I would consider leaving one batch with just the marris otter. Simpler is usually better. And that hop schedule is going to be nice with it.

Recipe looks good. Personal preference: I like Maris Otter but I find its character a bit strong, and I prefer to blend it 50/50 with American pale 2-row or German pilsner malt or something like that.

The Carapils is fine I think as it can help bring the mash pH down into the proper range of 5.4-5.5, otherwise pH could be a bit high unless you acidify.

Thank you for the responses so far. I've had a few batches lately that carb fine, but have horrible head retention, thus I'm trying the cara-pils for the first time.

One thing I've been doing lately is putting a bigger hop addition towards the tail end of the brewing session, at flameout for example, and easing a bit off the first hop addition. I like the way it turns out, more fruity than bitter.

Thank you for the responses so far. I've had a few batches lately that carb fine, but have horrible head retention, thus I'm trying the cara-pils for the first time.

Often the lack of head retention is due to the anti spotting agent used in the dishwasher. You might try washing a few glasses by hand and rinsing them really well to see if that will help.

Often the lack of head retention is due to the anti spotting agent used in the dishwasher. You might try washing a few glasses by hand and rinsing them really well to see if that will help.

None of my beer or wine glasses go in the dishwasher. All hand washed, thoroughly rinsed, and towel dried. Thanks for the tip though.

Back