Thoughts on this Galaxy dominant Ipa recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsvinth34

Reaction score
Brewing this tomorrow, but was trying to balance out the hop schedule. Curious about people's take on this, with the combo of hops and such. Also have Eldorado, equinox, Columbus, more Nelson, Chinook, and cascade to work with. So, rather flexible on the varieties at this point. Input is appreciated

View attachment 1459577656137.jpg

Seems like a lot of crystal to me. Would cut that down or out.

Galaxy is a lovely hop and I think it will pair well with the Nelson and citra.

I would drop the Colombus and add some galaxy at flameout. If you are going for that aromatic flavor from the Galaxy it tastes better with low IBUs. Unless you are trying to stay true to style it's up to you though.

You hace two Galaxy additions at 0min, one of them I guess should be 10min?

Just mention that because it will increase total IBUs by ~25%.

I like the mix of hops you suggest.

Cheers.

Yeah one should be 10 minutes, for galaxy, oops
Added the crystal in an effort to bring the color and og up, according to beer Smith. It's right in the sweet spot. The Columbus was strictly to hit the Ibu too. I appreciate the input everyone! Something I can work on today before brewing it. Going to brew a Porter first, then ipa in the evening

If you want to modify the colour, use another darker malt.

Black malt or chocolate malt for instance will darken your brew without the sweetness of 40L caramel malt, as it will require far less quantity.

Cheers.

I did a similar brew recently and I really like it. I had more equal proportions of Nelson and Galaxy in mine, but if I did it again I'd use less Nelson and more Galaxy. As others have stated I'd reduce or eliminate the crystal. I often do 2 row and Munich or you could try Maris otter as your base. You may not get as dark of a color, but your hops will pop. Enjoy and have fun with it. Cheers!

Back