Thoughts on this "Double" Amber Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kunstler

Reaction score
I had recently brewed an extract (with steeping grains) Amber Ale for a ski trip (5 gallons gone in less than 48 hours) and it was a hit among both BMC fans as well as Micro/Homebrew fans. I've been toying with the idea of doubling it and lagering for a long time and would appreciate any thoughts on it - here is the recipe.

1# Wheat Malt (steeping grain)
1# Munich Malt (steeping grain)
12# Amber Malt Extract
1 oz Cluster (60 Min)
1 oz Northern Brewer (60 min)
1 oz Mt Hood (5 min)
1 oz Hallertauer (5 min)
Irish moss (15 min)

* the four different hops is from what I have - origional recipe was just cluster and mt hood

60 min boil,
primary for 14 days (or until fermentation has leveled off which ever is longer)
secondary at 33 degrees for 60 days re-rack off yeast into clean keg, carb, and enjoy.

My questions are is 30 days lagering enough for this Ale? I don't want it to taste like rocket fuel, but I would like something clean, strong, and smooth - any ideas on the lagering - it really cleaned/cleared up the "single version" and would hope it would do the same for the "double version" but at the same time I want something that will be quite strong, a little heavier wouldn''t but if it all fermented out thats ok too.

What I'm afraid of is jet fuel that I have holding up in a keg for 10 months.

Any thoughts, additions, changes, etc would be appreciated. :mug:

-edit- what yeast would you suggest, I was planning on a large starter, but origional recipe used general run of the mill dry ale yeast - obviously need a liquid yeast (preferably white labs) that can handle all this work.

I used two packets of plain old dry Nottingham in my DIPA of similar strength and it more than got the job done. Don't think that just because it's a dry yeast it's inferior. As for rocket fuel, that's more of a ferm. temp. issue and adding too much simple sugars than anything. If you keep it below 70 (at least with Nottingham) it shouldn't be a problem. I'm not sure how cold aging an ale will help with "smoothness" because I've never tried it. I'd just leave it on the yeast at 70 or below for at least three weeks in primary and another 3-4 in secondary. If you want it to clear you could throw it in the fridge for a few days before you bottle it.

BTW, don't think that doubling everything will produce the same beer with more ABV. A number of things will be different, mostly due to the increased stress placed upon the yeast.

My $.02

I do not have the equipment to lager ferment, just lager condition in the keg with the post removed

cuinrearview: Thanks for your thoughts I can easily keep it below 70 degrees (sadly not cold enough to keep it in Lager temps though as Cpt. Kirks suggested - I wish I could use lager fermentation techniques but alas small apartment leads to small keg fridge which only holds 2 corney kegs at a time. I know it wouldn't be the same beer, but I was looking at it as a jump off point - it was a beer I liked but I would like to super-hype it (not just in ABV, but also taste) - I wanted it to be bigger and more of a sipper than a lets plow through it in a weekend.

Does anyone have thoughts on the hops will it get muddy with the two seperate hops or should I venture out and find 1 more oz of either so I'm only have 2 hop profiles and not 4 trying to compete

Well, at 60 min. hops are pretty much there only for AA%. I say pretty much because some are "cleaner" in bittering than others. I would say that these are pretty close in bittering profile so you could lump them together as far as AA% goes. And the five minute addition of Mt. Hood and Hallertau really doesn't mix things up either. Mt. Hood is a triploid of Hallertau, so they are pretty similar in aroma. Not the same mind you, but similar. It definately won't muddy the hop profile using them how you have it, but it would simplify things if you just picked one or the other of both additions and adjusted accordingly IMHO.

And don't envy not being able to lager: I can't either, but ales are so much more fun and flavorful :D

You really don't have to have a fridge to lager.

A cooler will do. I have a box I made out of foam board and duct tape. It will hold a better bottle and 2 frozen two liter bottles of water. It works great for lagering.

For very lager-like ales, try US-05 yeast. I make a very nice, light blonde ale with US-05.

thanks for the equipment/ingred. suggestions helps alot!

now to go buy some foam board and drink some soda....

Latest posts

Back