Thoughts on this blunder?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtt121

Reaction score
I am getting married on the 18th. I haven't brewed at the pace I used to but I still do it. Promised the fiancee I would brew the wedding beer. I have BVIP, Rye IPA, Apfelwein, and Hefeweizen on the docket.

The BVIP, IPA and Apples are all brewed and tasting great. The hefe I used to brew often and know it only takes 2 weeks. I brewed yesterday.

I am a no chill advocate and my process is to go right from flameout into my SS conical fermenter. The next day (today) when the wort comes to fermentation temps in the fermentation fridge I pitch the yeast (wb-06). My problem is today I used an IR thermometer on the outside of the SS and got 62. I pitched.

Not much later on I felt the SS and it felt warm. I popped the lid off the conical and took a thermapen reading. 88 degrees. Shart. Not hot enough to kill my yeast and just repitch unfortunately.

I should have the wort down to mid 60s within 5 hours of pitching.

Thoughts here? Should I rebrew this and save this dumb mistake for my own gullet?

You may be alright as long as it gets cold in 5 hours. At the temp you pitched at, depending on the yeast, you will get the bubble bum flavors. Since it is not staying there for very long at all, and yeast don't just spontaneously and explosively reproduce, I can't imagine you will get much, if any flavor contribution in that short window. The lower temps for fermentation should throw off a lot of the clove characteristics, which would hide any of the banana/bubble gum flavors. Even if there are some, probably only the most discerning will be able to recognize them. Most will perceive as a "sweet" finish.

Smell it after 4 days, that will give you a good idea of flavor profile. If it is off, you still have time to make more.

I would chill as rapidly as possible. I doubt it would produce flavors too far off.

Though if you are concerned, brew another. If they are both good you have more beer for the festivities, if it is too much, or the warm one it not up to standards, you have more for your own consumption.

I think your right. But I thought of option 3. I put this all back in the kettle and am going to bring it back to a boil. Then back to SS conical. Then pitch tomorrow.

+1 ^

I wouldn't dump it if you have the fermentor space. It may still taste fine, wheat covers up a lot of flaws, you just don't know that for 2 weeks. For security, rebrew. If the first one also turns out great, you have twice as much Hefe to serve. :tank:

Thanks for replies. I would really rather not rebrew as I had plans today.

I see no reason not to bring the wort back to a boil and plan to pitch tomorrow. It is on the heat now.

I suppose with a hefe it probably won't make a huge difference, but generally a reboil will mess with hop character provided by late additions...

Cheers!

I think you've got a good idea. How long are you planning on boiling? I figure you'd want to least amount of time possible so you don't turn it into a dubkelweizen.

I made beer for a wedding recently. One weekend I brewed 3 batches back to back. I ended up using the grains for the first brew with the hop additions for the second. Once I realized what happened I scrambled and managed to salvage then both

Thanks for replies. I would really rather not rebrew as I had plans today.

I see no reason not to bring the wort back to a boil and plan to pitch tomorrow. It is on the heat now.

You don't even need to reboil -- just bring up to 180* hold for 10 minutes and back into fermenter. All you need to do here is pasteurize. If you want to boil just bring up to boiling and go straight back into the conical. I see no reason to extend this process.

So crazy thing. I ended up reboiling and going right back into the conical. It was only out of the conical for 30 minutes or so. I did not flush the conical as I was putting boiling wort back into it.

The next day I went to pitch my starter (as it should be wort at fermentation temps at this point) and I had a full krausen. WB-06 survived the boil.

I ended up having to dump and rebrew anyway.

Back