Thoughts on reusing this yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ballsy

Reaction score
Hey guys, wanted your expert advice on whether I should think of reusing the yeast from my last batch or not. Used Danstar BRY-97 West Coast Dry Ale Yeast and double pitched on beer with OG of 1.070, fermented at 71-72deg. I have seen rec's on here not to reuse yeast that were stressed from high gravity beers, but thought since I did double pitch it would be ok? Just don't want to risk poor fermentation on another batch, but don't want to waste money by tossing good yeast away too! Thanks!

Forgot to add....anyone with suggestions on another beer kit this yeast would go well with? It seems all kits I am looking at do not suggest this particular yeast...Leading me to another question, how much difference does this make? If I used the West Coast dry ale yeast in a kit that suggested say Safale US-05 or S-04?? How would it affect it?

I don't think I would use it even if you double pitched, I'm no expert though. It's usually recommended that you don't reuse yeast from anything over 1.055 or so. I was just reading that the BRY-97 is Danstar's version of the Chico yeast which is what US-05 is. So if you do reuse the yeast, you'd be fine with a kit that uses US-05.

go ahead and reuse it, it's not like it won't ferment your beer and you'll know definitively that it's ok to do.

Cool, thanks for the feedback. I was wanting to try Northern brewer's Dead Ringer Ale (since Bell's Two Hearted is my favorite beer) so will probably give it a go with that if it is similar to US-05. I will be transferring my Arrogant Bastard clone to secondary the day of brewing the Dead Ringers Ale....so will probably just scoop some goodness from the yeast cake, drop it in a starter, and toss in!! (if it was only as quick & easy as it sounded...)

BTW...not too thrilled at Northern Brew's 10.00 shipping cost compared to my usual AHBS flat 6.99 rate...

I really don't think there's a need for a starter. Especially if you're pitching the same day. A starter's purpose is to build a sufficient yeast colony and you already have that. I think I would wash it if I was you so you have more pure yeast and less trub. Look up yeast washing.

I really don't think there's a need for a starter. Especially if you're pitching the same day. A starter's purpose is to build a sufficient yeast colony and you already have that. I think I would wash it if I was you so you have more pure yeast and less trub. Look up yeast washing.

Yeah, I had already decided I wouldn't do a starter based on what I have read...but also didn't consider washing it since I read it really doesn't affect it too much? Maybe I will just to save the excess b/c I'm sure I will get more than I need for the batch...thx!

I don't have any DME on hand....If I change mind and decide to do starter I am guessing can do other ways? Wasn't planning on doing starter but now starting to have doubts...

Sooner or later you'll learn to make a starter every time.

Thanks bja, I don't want to screw up my favorite of beers...Bells Two Hearted...so won't take any chances. I don't have any DME so will just use some LME from the kit. Mr x states he uses 500ml LME + 3500 ml water = 4000ml @ 1.042 sg so I will probably just do that. Thanks again, will let you know by Sunday whether I have some good vigorous fermentation going!!

BTW, looking at Mr Malty, they recommend a 3L starter based on amount of cells I will need. Does anyone see any issues on going with a 4L starter as stated above?

Nevermind, I think I figured it out. From what I researched, the above rec's of LME equals 1lb to the 3500ml water, which is the standard ratio from what people say to obtain SG of 1.04. Mr Malty rec's 3L's starter for pitching slurry with my OG of the Dead Ringer Ale (1.065) so 375ml of LME would be used in 2625ml water to = 3L....sound about right?

Nevermind, I think I figured it out. From what I researched, the above rec's of LME equals 1lb to the 3500ml water, which is the standard ratio from what people say to obtain SG of 1.04. Mr Malty rec's 3L's starter for pitching slurry with my OG of the Dead Ringer Ale (1.065) so 375ml of LME would be used in 2625ml water to = 3L....sound about right?

It doesn't need to be exact. Think nuclear bomb close enough and you'll be fine.

It doesn't need to be exact. Think nuclear bomb close enough and you'll be fine.

Hahahahah, nice. I like that...I'll be dropping that bomb on Saturday then...(as opposed to other bombs that are dropped on a more regular basis) :rockin:

Well, which one is it? Use it, or not?

Well... I wouldn't use it.

But... He has decided he's going to anyway so I'm just offering some advice for re-using yeast.

I still don't think you need a starter, I mean it would be fine to get the yeast going again but I've never done one when I've re-used yeast and have had no problems. Seems unnecessary.

Well, I did my starter Fri night with some LME from my kit since no DME on hand. Was a 3L starter per MrMalty's rec's. Brewed Saturday and blow off tube was really bubbling away less then 7hrs later to my relief! We'll see how the batch goes! Only down side was OG was off from having to use the LME from batch, but I poured entire 3L starter into the bucket.

Update: After 2 weeks in primary, SG was ~1.017 (OG was 1.07). The activity was not "vigorous" compared with last batch of arrogant bastard clone, but obviously the boys got the job done if 1.017 is their final resting point (7% ABV is same as Bell Two Hearted). Went ahead and dry hopped a week early due to going out of town weekend after next, will bottle next weekend. Thanks for all the input. I will have no second thoughts on using the other 3 mason jars of washed yeast in the fridge on my future batches (with starter of course...). Will not be trying to wash the yeast from this batch due to having been through two high gravity beers in a row.

How's the taste? I just washed from a batch that was 6.8% and had similar concerns. I did a starter this morning for my ryepa and I'm hoping I don't get any off flavors.

How's the taste? I just washed from a batch that was 6.8% and had similar concerns. I did a starter this morning for my ryepa and I'm hoping I don't get any off flavors.

I did not taste...was more concerned with the yeast not fully doing their job of convertion...will be cold crashing fri/sat and bottling sun. Will update u when I taste the excess!

Tasted some excess from bottling last night, had a good bitterness to it. Nice yeast cake at bottom. I am a little worried that ferment temps may have edged onto the warmer side (ambient 71 so ferment was prob around 75ish) but BRY-97 is supposed to be ok up to 77deg's so hoping no off flavors. I have since bought a bucket from Walmart and am currently fermenting imperial stout at around 65-68. No more ambient air ferments for me...

Tasted some excess from bottling last night, had a good bitterness to it. Nice yeast cake at bottom. I am a little worried that ferment temps may have edged onto the warmer side (ambient 71 so ferment was prob around 75ish) but BRY-97 is supposed to be ok up to 77deg's so hoping no off flavors. I have since bought a bucket from Walmart and am currently fermenting imperial stout at around 65-68. No more ambient air ferments for me...

Good move. My beers improved big time when I started using the swamp cooler.

Tasted a bottle of the Deadringer ale last night after 2wks in bottle...wow was I happy with it! Great smell and taste...had a bells two hearted in fridge and was really amazed at how close the Deadringer came to it...will be ordering another kit asap. Also re-pitching more of the BRY97 with it! (Washed 4 mason jars worth...)

Back