Thoughts on Porter recipes with only one hop addition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew2Be

Reaction score
Hi HBT'ers. I am trying to piece together a robust porter that I will be brewing today and I seem to recall seing a robust porter recipe with only one hop addition @ 60 mins. Is this something that would make an okay porter or would it be bland? I am not sure if the hops matter that much unless doing an american style (hoppy) porter.. What are your thoughts?

Personally I like the simplicity of bittering with either one or two hops for 60mins and either an aroma at 0 mins and/or dry hopping. I think there is a tendency in the home brew scene to over-hop. I think you should look at the action of boiling water on alpha acids and from there consider the worth of intermediate hopping. Just my two cents, keep it simple.

I just brewed a robust Porter 2 days ago and used Fuggles and kent Goldings for 60 mins. I have enough Goldings left over to dry hop after fermentation.

I like a bit of hops in the finish of a porter. YMMV. See "Coal Porter" in my recipe dropdown.

That said, I've done that same recipe with only a bittering addition or with FWH and been satisfied.

Bob

I have an Anchor Porter recipe with .75 oz Cascade and .75 oz Northern Brewer @ 60 minutes.
I liked it.

I'm getting ready to brew a robust porter in the next week or so, and I'm planning on 2 hop additions (UK Phoenix at 60 and Kent Goldings at 15). I brewed a very similar one last fall, but that one was dry-hopped. I decided the dry-hopping didn't add much, so I dropped it this time around.

I am keeping the 2nd hop addition instead of just doing a bittering charge for two reasons. First, I think it adds a bit of depth to the bittering. And, I don't want to change too many things each time I brew a batch. This time around, I'm already dropping the dry-hop, changing the grain bill slightly, and adding vanilla beans to secondary.

I think whether you decide to do a single bittering charge or add some flavor/aroma additions is mostly a matter of preference. But, in my opinion, a flavor/aroma addition would have to be pretty big in order to cut through the dark malt character of a porter.

Back