Thoughts on my special bitter recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopHound12

Reaction score
Hey guys was hoping to get some feedback on my special bitter recipe that I just threw together. Looking to make a simple yet delicious bitter with a simple grain bill and hopping schedule. Here's the recipe:

8.5 Maris
.5 Aromatic

1oz EKG 60
1oz Fuggles 15
1oz EKG 10
1oz Fuggles 0

WLP 023

OG 1.045
IBU 35

Am I in the neighborhood?

Why do you say crystal instead of the aromatic? is it for the color or the flavor?

Flavor and color. It's a traditional Pale Ale/Caramel flavor profile. Marris gives you a malty base and Crystal adds the overtone. Crystal will also add color, depending on the number and percentage used. Many would say not to exceed 15 per cent, and I've generally held at about 7. Usually that means about an 11 SRM for me, but I get a little higher due to the 90 minute boil.

Wyeast London 1968 is a good yeast for a Extra Bitter. If you're aiming for a drier beer, mash at 148 and consider using a little sugar.

Ok thanks for the info sounds like crystal is the safe bet I was just trying to do something a little different but maybe that's not the best idea first bitter. My LHBS only sells white lab yeast so maybe I will go with their london ale strain.

Latest posts

Back