Thoughts on my ipa recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simcoe26

Reaction score
11.5 2 row
1.5 Munich 10
.5 crystal 14
.5 flaked wheat
.5 Cara pils
.25 caramunich
.125 crystal 40
.25 acidulated malt

1oz nugget@60
1oz Simcoe@15
1oz citra@5
1oz exp. Grapefruit @ 0

1oz each Simcoe, citra, exp, grapefruit dry hop.

Wlp001 or like strain.

What do you guys think

I personally would simplify it and stick with
80-90% 2 r-row
5-10% crystal 10-20L
<5% carapils

or a 80% 2-row, 10% munich, 5% crystal, <5% carapils.

Hops seem good to me, I would add an extra 1oz citra at flame out too.

The thought of caramunich and crystal 40 are basically color and the wheat was for body

I dont think you need that carapils in there at all. Your hops look good. I think you are gonna make a great beer.
Whats the reason reason for the carapils? I think you'll have good head without it.

I dont think you need that carapils in there at all. Your hops look good. I think you are gonna make a great beer.
Whats the reason reason for the carapils? I think you'll have good head without it.

Seconded. Nix the carapils. IMO carapils doesn't do much other than head retention. I got rid of it from my recipes and saw no noticeable difference.

For color, I like to toss in an oz or 2 of TF&S chocolate malt. No real flavor, but it gives it a sweet orangey color.

The rest of the recipe looks good. I like Nugget as my bittering hop with fruity hops as late additions.

So I dropped the carapils and au subtituted another .5 lbs 2 row and substituted 1oz chocolate 450L for the caramunich.

There is no way the chocolate will come through in flavor right?

Grain bill is too fussy and loaded with too much crystal malt.

The carapils, caramunich and crystal 14 can all be dropped.

Up the C40 to 0.25lb if you want a notable flavor contribution. Or drop it entirely and up the munich to 2.5lb.

Hop additions are too small, think 6oz at the end of boil and 6oz in the dry hop.

Also color be damned, its an IPA after all

Up the C40 to 0.25lb if you want a notable flavor contribution. Or drop it entirely and up the munich to 2.5lb.

Hop additions are too small, think 6oz at the end of boil and 6oz in the dry hop.

I already dropped the Cara Munich and the carapils. I chose to split the 2 crystal malts because I find to much c40 ends to sweet and Munich is in there for the lovely flavor it provides. I will take into consideration upping the hops though I have never used that many hops in flameout or dry hop.

I already dropped the Cara Munich and the carapils. I chose to split the 2 crystal malts because I find to much c40 ends to sweet and Munich is in there for the lovely flavor it provides. I will take into consideration upping the hops though I have never used that many hops in flameout or dry hop.

I don't know if the gasp was sarcastic or not but I like my ipas to be in a certain range. Somewhere between 7-12 SRM max

I don't know if the gasp was sarcastic or not but I like my ipas to be in a certain range. Somewhere between 7-12 SRM max

It was. Everyone has their own tastes. I like mine like a hoppy amber or red. But I also like aggressive dank and piney hops. If I'm making something like a 3F ZD or Fresh Squeezed with the fruity hops, I keep it very light.

1 oz of chocolate and your munich additions will put you in 7 to 10 range, depending on volume. It will be good. You will like it. It's YOUR beer! How cool is that!

It was. Everyone has their own tastes. I like mine like a hoppy amber or red. But I also like aggressive dank and piney hops. If I'm making something like a 3F ZD or Fresh Squeezed with the fruity hops, I keep it very light.

1 oz of chocolate and your munich additions will put you in 7 to 10 range, depending on volume. It will be good. You will like it. It's YOUR beer! How cool is that!

Yeah I've been all grain for about 4 years but still like others input. What do you use for your dank and piney stuff. That is my favorite style of IPA as well but I have never been able to make one dank or piney enough

Yeah I've been all grain for about 4 years but still like others input. What do you use for your dank and piney stuff. That is my favorite style of IPA as well but I have never been able to make one dank or piney enough

I grow Nugget, Cascade, Zeus, and Chinook. I use these a lot in my IPAs. My homegrown IPA will use about 2 oz each of Nugget, Zeus, Cascade, and Chinook in the boil, and another oz each as a dry hop. I vary this with a DIPA that has 4 oz of each, with a 1 oz each dry hop. Much of these are late hop additions. So the DIPA is 9.5% with 20 total oz of hops.

Grain bills are simple with 2 row, small crystal additions (anything from C40 to C120, usually higher number crystals for heavier and higher alcohol beers), and a dash of color with some chocolate malt. My 1 lb of TF&S chocolate has lasted me a long time, and I still have a bunch left. It really is more of a perception of 'heaviness' than anything, because I will ferment them down to 1.010 to 1.012 regularly.

I read the Summit, Apollo, Galaxy, Simcoe, and even Centennial can impart dankness into the beer, depending on the timing of the boil and the amounts they are used.

Latest posts

Back