Thoughts on getting a quicker carbonation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tilldeath

Reaction score
I need to know I have one week for two kegs to finish catrbing, one has been on a set it and forget it for 2weeks and the other has been on pressure according to chart with shaking for 1 week, when I sampled both neither was really carbed. I checked the seals and all is good there so no leaks. My regulator is reading about 500psi remains, but I know these can be pretty inaccurate. My question is why am I not getting any carbonation after these times at a temp of 36F, I have pressure in the tank and I could hear it going into the kegs, do I just need more time? Also since I need these ready for the 4th can I safely bring the pressure to like 20psi, shake, allow to sit for and hour drop the pressure down check where carbonation is at and then repeat?

Do you have your gas connected to the in or out connection on your keg? Supposedly force carbing works better if it's connected to the out connection (more beer/CO2 contact.)

Personally, no matter what I do, my bottle conditioned beers always seem to come out better. I'm thinking about giving up kegging completely. Even my naturally carbonated kegs are never quite right.

I will set a keg @ 30 psi for a couple of days, then turn down to serving and it's usually drinkable on day 3 and right on the money by day 5.

I will set a keg @ 30 psi for a couple of days, then turn down to serving and it's usually drinkable on day 3 and right on the money by day 5.

Now do I need to worry about doing this if there's already some existing carbonation??

I need to know I have one week for two kegs to finish catrbing, one has been on a set it and forget it for 2weeks and the other has been on pressure according to chart with shaking for 1 week, when I sampled both neither was really carbed. I checked the seals and all is good there so no leaks. My regulator is reading about 500psi remains, but I know these can be pretty inaccurate. My question is why am I not getting any carbonation after these times at a temp of 36F, I have pressure in the tank and I could hear it going into the kegs, do I just need more time? Also since I need these ready for the 4th can I safely bring the pressure to like 20psi, shake, allow to sit for and hour drop the pressure down check where carbonation is at and then repeat?

Thats why. The colder your beer the more CO2 can go into solution so it will take longer. Why so cold? Most beer is served warmer than that.

GT

Thats why. The colder your beer the more CO2 can go into solution so it will take longer. Why so cold? Most beer is served warmer than that.

GT

prefer my belgian wit's colder and I feel like the apfelwein being served for a summer bbq would be better cold as well. That being said I thought having a colder temp allowed for easier absorbtion of the CO2 meaning less pressure for a lower temp. Is it really going to have more volumes of CO2 going in or is it just since the psi is lower it takes more time to pump the equivelant amount of CO2 into the keg?? :drunk:

Good question now that I think about it some more and it could be I was way off base. The Ideal gas law explains why a colder solution holds more CO2 but not how quickly you get to that steady state. There must be an equation that will explain the rate of diffusion of CO2 into solution but I have no idea what it is. I have noticed empirically that my bitters carb up faster than my lagers but there are 2 variables that vary there - temperature and the final CO2 volumes.

GT

Back