Thoughts on first all grain recipe. Was supposed to be Gumballhead clone...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fraycrof

Reaction score
Ok, so like the title says my first all grain recipe was supposed to be a Gumballhead clone following this recipe:

All Grain Recipe - Gumballhead Wheat ::: 1.052/1.012 (6 Gal)
Grain Bill (70% Efficiency assumed)

6 lbs. - Wheat Malt
5 lbs. - 2-Row Pale Malt
1 lb. - Caravienne Malt

Hop Schedule (27 IBU)
1/4 oz. - Amarillo - First Wort Hop
1/4 oz. - Amarillo - 60 min.
1/2 oz. - Amarillo - 15 min.
1.25 oz. - Amarillo - 5 min.
1 oz. - Amarillo - 1 min.
1.5 oz. - Amarillo - Dry Hop

Yeast
White Labs California Ale Yeast (WLP001) - 1800 ml starter
Mash/Sparge/Boil
Mash at 153° for 60 min.
Sparge as usual
Cool and ferment at 68° to 70°

However, due to ordering things at different times (and probably ordering a few wrong items) than realizing I couldn't get amarillo hops, here is what I've come up with (using BrewTarget to help):

6 lbs. - Rahr White Wheat Malt (I'm guessing this was supposed to be Breiss Wheat Malt?)
5 lbs. - Breiss 2-Row Malt
1 lb. - Cara Malt Crisp

Hop Schedule (35.8 IBU based on BrewTarget)
1 oz. - Cascade - First Wort Hop
1/2 oz. - Cascade - 60 min.
1/4 oz. - Calypso - 45 min.
1/2 oz. - Cascade - 15 min.
1/2 oz. - Calypso - 5 min.
1 oz. - Cascade - 1 min
1 oz. - Cascade - Dry Hop
1/4 oz. - Calypso - Dry Hop

Yeast
White Labs California Ale Yeast (WLP001) - 1800 ml starter
Mash/Sparge/Boil

Obviously, I don't expect this beer to taste like Gumballhead and according to BrewTarget the color is completely off but everything else looks ok. I've gone crazy with the hops schedule because I'm not sure if I will get the hop taste I want from the Cascade and there is not a lot of info on Calypso (although these are the two hops that I have). Basically, I'm just wondering if anyone has any reservations with this recipe, meaning do you think it will taste horrible.

I appreciate your thoughts and this is actually my first post on this website, although I use it all the time... There's a ton of good information on this site!

Thanks everyone! :mug:

Nothing about this recipe will taste horrible...but like you said, it won't taste like Gumballhead without the Amarillo.

The only thing I would change is to move the 1/4oz of Calypso at 45 to the Dry Hop. A 45 minute addition is just an inefficient bittering addition.

I agree. Just did one similar but with bravo, summit, palisade, and calypso hops. Should be a great beer. Your first recipe is same one my friend brews as his flagship and its always great!

Awesome. Thanks for the replies. I went with the cascade as the FWH because it is lower in AA and I am hoping to get more of that grapefruit flavor since the hop will be steeped more so than boiled. I think I will change the 60 minute addition (like you said to) to an ounce or maybe less of the calypso since I want to use that hop mostly for bittering and maybe some interesting aromas towards the end. Like I said, first all grain so I was a little concerned but I'm sure it will go well. Still waiting on grains but I will post pictures and let everyone know how it tastes when it finishes. Do I need a protein rest? If so, how do I do that? Let me know any other thoughts... Actually, where have all the Amarillo hops gone??

from howtobrew: "The typical Protein Rest at 120 - 130°F is used to break up proteins which might otherwise cause chill haze and can improve the head retention. This rest should only be used when using moderately-modified malts, or when using fully modified malts with a large proportion (>25%) of unmalted grain, e.g. flaked barley, wheat, rye, or oatmeal. Using this rest in a mash consisting mainly of fully modified malts would break up the proteins responsible for body and head retention and result in a thin, watery beer. The standard time for a protein rest is 20 - 30 minutes."

I never use one because I don't typically brew with unmalted grain. Unless your recipe is with unmalted wheat, or you really care about the clarity of your beer I wouldn't do one.

Also, there is a massive Amarillo shortage right now. Basically New Belgium gobbled them all up from the one farm that sells them (range IPA). Even commercial breweries are impacted (for example, Ballast Point had to change the recipe to Sculpin IPA).

I just got back from 3F's this weekend, really good time, had some good food there too.

Crazy about the hops... I wonder how much a home Amarillo grower could get... Lol, I'm going to 3floyds this week. I love getting the cheeseburger with goat cheese, bacon, and fried egg served on a pretzel bun. Best burger I've ever had. They usually have awesome duck dishes too. Also looking forward to their Region (where I am from originally) Riot malt liquor served in a plastic cup. And of course a sampling of several other beers... My buddy is moving to CA soon, so we have to celebrate.

Back