thoughts on fermentation temps.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GalenSevinne

Reaction score
I am brewing a barleywine and have been keeping the temps around 58 degrees. I know this is on the low end of the temp range for healthy fermentation but even at 58 degrees the fermentation is very active. I think if it was warmer like 65 or so it would become really messy.

Could this be too cold at 58? I was thinking baout warming it to about 63 or so as it slows down to maybe get more work out of my yeast.

Any thoughts? thanks.

this is pretty much what i do with all my big beers. start low when ester and fusels are more likely to be created, and finish high to get those last couple points of attenuation.

i don't have any experience with that particular yeast but it's worked for me with several belgian strains, s05, nottingham, s04, etc.

I haven't brewed a beer that big, but when I do, that kind of temp control is my plan. I have done plenty of research on the topic and it seems like you would reduce fusel alcohol and ester production.

Sounds good to me, but I'm a newbie.

Keep us posted on your results, I am interested!

Eric

I haven't brewed a beer that big, but when I do, that kind of temp control is my plan. I have done plenty of research on the topic and it seems like you would reduce fusel alcohol and ester production.

Sounds good to me, but I'm a newbie.

Keep us posted on your results, I am interested!

Eric

the only advice I can give for now is either use a blow off tube or have it ready. this is my 4th beer and I have always been ok with a simple airlock. this time i came home from around 6:00 on sunday from a football game and every thing was fine. I checked it at 8:00 - just two hours later - and the airlock was spewing krausen. i really think the lid would have blown by midnight if i hadn't put a blow off tube on.

Back