Thoughts on cider fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ncfield

Reaction score
Hi All,

Can I get some opinions on the attached pic? Doing 3 quick 1 gal batches while my 5 gal batch ages. Added S04 and fermentation has been going strong and now starting to slow slightly. What are your thoughts on the clarity? Two jugs have cleared well, but the first is still very cloudy. Added pectic enzyme to all 3. Any idea why one would be so cloudy? ImageUploadedByHome Brew1415238169.715517.jpg

The two on the right look like they had some good activity at the top. The other doesn't have as much of a krausen ring. Did they all ferment the same? Swirl?

ericbw: That's a good point. It was bubbling the same as the others and still is. I'll give it a swirl around... Maybe it just needs more time.

ericbw: That's a good point. It was bubbling the same as the others and still is. I'll give it a swirl around... Maybe it just needs more time.

Can always throw a blanket on it. A little warmer might help.

I did a 3 gallon batch and a couple 1 gallon batches as my first cider brewing to test out different aging and what it does to taste. Mine came out looking like yours did after two weeks in primary and two in secondary. I bottled the 3 gallon and one of the 1 gallon- which I added priming sugar to practice in bottle carbing. I dont mind the cloudy and having a bottle every 4 or 5 days I see it is getting better in taste and I have one clear bottle I will save for last to see how time affects clarity of the cider. I see it is starting to clear some. But for me I would rather enjoy my cider instead of waiting months but that is not to say I may do a batch or two and have it sit for months and see how it turns out.

S-04 drops like a rock when it's done. Fermentation is just slowing. Give it another week and it'll be crystal clear. Or give it a few more days and then a few days refrigerated and it will be even clearer faster.

I had the same exact problem with my last batch. Tried everything to clarify it. So I went down to my local home brew store and he gave me a package of Super Kleer KC. With in 48 hour it was clear.

Seems to be significantly less sediment at the bottom of the carboy on the left so that might be the cause of why it is so opaque but the jugs on the right are not what I would call "clear". You should be able to read fine print on newspaper through even a five gallon carboy when cider or wine is called "clear".

Back