Thoughts on building a keggle from a short 1/4bbl keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JakeB

Reaction score
Preface- This is my first post on HBT. I want to apologize ahead of time if this topic is covered elsewhere or if I'm posting in the wrong area.

As my title explains, I'm planning to build a new brew kettle from a keg in the near future. Lately I have only been doing three gallon brews, and have no interest in brewing batches larger than five gallons.

Kegs-new_zpsb7f401e9.jpg

What are your gents' thoughts on building a keggle from a stout 1/4bbl keg? As I'm sure you know they're around 7.5 gallons with dimensions around 13-7/8'' high x 16-1/8'' wide. I would love to hear the internet's thoughts.

Rock on! :rockin:
Jake

I used a 7.5 gallon aluminum pot for years doing 5 gallon batches with pretty good success, however, I'll say that I had to worry about boil overs every time. When I upgraded I went with a 20 gallon boil kettle for my 10 gallon batches and it's really reduced my stress :). I'd say go with a half barrel and save yourself from standing next to the kettle with a squirt bottle.

I would say if you're going to spend all that money to build them I would spend slightly more on 1/2 barrel kegs in case you ever want to do larger batches.
:mug:

You will certainly be fine, but it'll be messy... and no one ever said "man, I wish I went smaller..."

dryboroughbrewing said:
. I'd say go with a half barrel and save yourself from standing next to the kettle with a squirt bottle.

Exactly what he said!

My 8-gallon kettle works, but always have to be cautious to avoid boil over for every batch of brew. Wish I knew to buy a larger kettle.

no one ever said "man, I wish I went smaller..."

You make an excellent point. I suppose I just worry about losing some volume, not to mention only occupying 20 percent of the vessel when I'm only doing three gallon brews in a 15.5 gallon keggle.

I think you should be alright boiling a smaller amount in a keggle. The surface area is the same. Boiling 5 gallons in my 25 gal kettle is a little different.

Back