Thoughts on American Pale Ale Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eerrpp

Reaction score
I was wanting to brew this APA to try out some different hop combinations. I was wanting to focus on using Chinook/Citra/Simcoe/Amarillo combo. Check out the recipe below and tell me how you think they would work together in this recipe. How do the boiling times look and the amount of hops.

Extract
6.6 lbs Breiss Pilsen LME

Steeping Grains
.5 lb Weyermann Carafoam 10L
.5 lb best maltz 2-3 crystal malt
.25 lb Briess Victory Malt 28L

Hops
1 oz Chinook 60 min
1 oz Citra 10 min
1 oz Simcoe or Citra or Mosaic 5 min
1 oz Amarillo Flame Out

two other hop schedules i was thinking of doing....I ran it through brew toad and reducing the chinook to a half an ounce kept the recipe in the guidelines of an American Pale Ale

Hops
1/2 oz Chinook 60 min
1 oz Citra 10 min
1 oz Simcoe Flame Out
1 oz Amarillo Flame Out

Hops
1/2 oz Chinook 60 min
1/2 oz Citra 10 min
1/2 oz Amarillo 10 min
1/2 oz Citra Flame Out
1/2 oz Amarillo Flame Out

Without seeing your exact specs I agree that that 1/2 oz chinook for a pale ale is probably enough, it's bittering is usually pretty pronounced. Some combo of 2-3 oz late/flameout hops plus a couple oz dry hop sounds good, you can go around and around about how to do that but I'd just pick something and go with it. Regarding the grainbill I'd say if you want the victory to come through up it to more like 4-5% or 6-8 oz. I see no point in doing 1 oz, you might as well leave it out in that case. Otherwise that grainbill is pretty light though - Carafoam is essentially Weyermann's version of carapils (it's 1-2L not 10) and I'd guess that really pale Best cara malt is similar. Maybe very light malt character is what you're after.

Back