Thoughts on a Vienna/ Mosaic SMaSH Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BroomVikin

Reaction score
I've never done a SMaSH so I thought I'd start with what seems to be a tried and true combo, Vienna and Mosaic. It'll just be a half batch since technically it's an experiment. All thoughts/ comments on the following are appreciated.

6# Vienna
Mash at 152° for 60m

.25oz Mosaic @30
.25oz Mosaic @15
1oz Mosaic @5
1oz Mosaic (Whirlpool @165 for 15m)
2oz Mosaic dryhop for 4 days

1 packet US-05 @62°

Beersmith tells me it'll give me 52 IBUs but I'm not sure that it correctly accounts for the whirlpool addition. It might actually be closer to 45 IBUs which would be on the higher end for an APA or the lower end for an IPA. That's about what I'm going for.

Every batch of Mosaic you buy could have a very different alpha acid level. I just bought two packs of Cascade from the LHBS yesterday, and one pack was listed as 5% AA while the other was closer to 8%.
Check the packs, then adjust your AA accordingly.
According to Brewer's Friend, Mosaic has an average AA of 12.5%, and with that level, your hop schedule would yield up to 85 IBUs, assuming you have a 10% utilization during your hop stand.

Not sure why we're getting such different results, but it's almost like your IBU calculator thinks you're making a 5-gallon batch, not 2.5. Might want to double-check all the numbers.

Back