Thoughts on a Choc oatmeal coffee stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PDevlin75

Reaction score
Greeting, and happy holidays to you all!

Haven't been able to brew in awhile, and I want to take a stab at a breakfast stout. Just playing around on my own, and I was hoping for some feedback on a recipe before I go ahead with it...

1.079 OG
51 IBU
42 SRM

13 lb 2 Row
8 oz Crystal 120
1 lb chocolate malt
1 lb roast barley
1 lb flaked oats
2 oz Cocoa powder (in mash)

Mash @ 152 for 60 min

1 oz galena @60
1 oz cascade @30
1 oz willamette @0

Wyeast 1056
1 vanilla bean (with one week left in fermenter)
1 cup cold brew coffee at bottling

I'm also pondering adding some lactose at bottling time as well

Any feedback would be appreciated!

-Pete

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

First off.. is this a 10G batch? That is a lot of grain for a 5G, unless you are doing an Imperial ;)

I wouldn't be shy on using 2 vanilla beans if you buy in pairs, but to each their own.

Never used cocoa powder, so can't comment on that. I've seen others use it to produce some good results.

I have used 1lb of Choc malt in a 5gal batch and it gave a nice noticeable chocolate note. If you are doing 10gal, maybe bump it up a tad?

You treat your water?

Add lacto and you'll have to change your style name to a Milk Stout!! Which are lovely.

Looks nice, lots of flavours going on there but with relatively little specialty malts this should let the coffee/vanilla come through nicely. Definitely recommend treating the water with baking soda if necessary to keep the pH from dropping too low. This made a big difference for me, made the flavours pop much more. Also I like to swap half the roast barley for roast wheat if you can get some, that gives a really smooth roast flavour. Good luck.

Okay, cool! Good feedback!

No, Bauzer, it's a 5 gallon batch. Looking at a potential 8% ABV. And duly noted on the point of using 2 vanilla beans. Can't hurt!

I have yet to venture into water treatment. I have to get my water analysis. I have the towns water report, but it's a bit lacking in some details. I've emailed looking for answers, but never got a response.

Sadu: I might just try the roast wheat! Sounds like a good idea. And yeah, I need to figure out the ph balance. I haven't learned anything about that aspect of brewing yet.

Thanks!

Greeting, and happy holidays to you all!

Haven't been able to brew in awhile, and I want to take a stab at a breakfast stout. Just playing around on my own, and I was hoping for some feedback on a recipe before I go ahead with it...

1.079 OG
51 IBU
42 SRM

13 lb 2 Row
8 oz Crystal 120
1 lb chocolate malt
1 lb roast barley
1 lb flaked oats
2 oz Cocoa powder (in mash)

Mash @ 152 for 60 min

1 oz galena @60
1 oz cascade @30
1 oz willamette @0

Wyeast 1056
1 vanilla bean (with one week left in fermenter)
1 cup cold brew coffee at bottling

I'm also pondering adding some lactose at bottling time as well

Any feedback would be appreciated!

-Pete

Just made something very similar and the one thing I'd say is I wish it were a bit sweeter to accentuate those chocolate and coffee. Mine attenuated like crazy and I used 1lb of crystal compared to your half pound. Mine came across as being too dry (though that could be other factors such as mash pH, yeast choice, etc)

You know how your system works; just be aware that there are a lot of roast/tannins (from coffee and chocolate) that need to be balanced with maltiness. Lactose may help as well but probably better to get the beer close before fermentation then proceed from there. My 2 cents. Looks tasty!

Back