thoughts of a mad science experiemnt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DirtbagHB

Reaction score
ive built my fermentation chamber, 5'Lx3.5'Wx4'T. 2inches of R6 insulation all the way around. the heater in it keeps it a nice 73F. its time to start brewing again.

ive isolated on potato dextrose agar, an american heffe yeast from white labs, and its been transferred to gluten free wort in a test tube and its growing up nicely. soon ill transfer it again to a flask of GF wort and create my starter.

i would like to use this in my next brew.

im thinking a 5gal all grain batch using 70% oats and 30% corn

id like to use it in an all grain quinoa batch but that will be later down the road.

is there any thoughts in regards to mash temps, protein rests,

ill be tossing in enzymes to hopefully convert this

so my recipe is looking like this, but its still alterable

4# med toasted flaked oats
4# light toasted flaked oats
1 # med toasted millet
3#light toasted flaked corn
8-16 oz maltodextrin
1 oz cascade hops at 60min
.5 oz czech saaz at 15 min

nothing like a good shot into the dark. my trial of beersmith ran out and....well. im flat broke (good thing i have a hefty stash of brew supplies). i can adjust the ferm chamber temp, its up right now for isolating yeast on plates (thats the temp we hold the growth chamber at the microlab i work in).

i have no idea if there is an oat heffe out there on the commercial market, and it's not like i could try tasting if i wanted to

i think im going to put the corn and oat recipe on hold till i can get a proper recipe worked out, in the mean time, i got me some hazelnut extract. so this is what ill be doing with it this weekend. tonight i toast me some millet!

7# tapioca extract,
>1# clover honey
2# med-dark toasted millet
? hazel nut extract at 15 or flameout
.5oz cz saaz at 60
.25 cz saaz at 30
.25 cz saaz at 15
10-14oz maltodextrin
1/2tsp irish moss @ 15
2tsp yeast nutrient

beersmith is locked out for me. so damn

this is a variation of my strawberry blonde that everyone went ape**** over. so im going to try this with hazel nuts, if this works according to plan, leeinwa should be expecting an order shortly for chestnuts to make a chestnuthazelnut something or other\

i think i got it from 'brewforless" but i cant remember its been a number of months since i got it. try a google.shopping/ froogle search for it. its out there and a 1.5oz bottle has lasted me quite a while.

Back