Thoughts and Opinions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnFenn

Reaction score
So I am new to making hard cider. I started two months ago and I’ve made one batch since that time. I have another going as of now. The batch I’m working on had a OG of 1.080 and I just measured and it’s at 1.034. I know it’s supposed to be done when it hits 1.000 but how much longer should I be expecting and do I need to add more sugar? It’s been over a week for fermenting and it’s still is cloudy. Is there anything I can do to speed up the process and to make the cider clearer? I’m using Cotes des Blanc yeast if that helps at all.

At least another week. Pretty high starting gravity. Some yeast nutrient might help.

You will not need more sugar.

All the Best,
D. White

Did you add any sugar at the start, as it seems a bit high? Most apple blends will end up at 1.050 to 1.060 with crabs sometimes being as high as 1.080.

Anyhow, my expectation when starting at 1.050 is for a week or two of turbulent fermentation down to 1.020 or so then another few weeks to get down to near 1.000. Increasing the ambient temperature will speed things up but at a cost of possibly blowing off flavour.

The mantra seems to be "low and slow".

Give it 3 or 4 more weeks if close to 60 F as I would recommend. Temperature will speed it up if that's what you care more about. My ciders often finish like 0.995, not 1.000. Don't add any more sugar, in fact I personally would not add any sugar at all. Nutrient might speed it up but personally I don't use any ever.

Cider isn't beer, so don't expect it to be ready in a few weeks. Leave it alone it will eventually clear out by itself. Sometimes I'll set the carboy out on my unheated porch and the yeast will drop out faster, but I usually just put it in the basement and don't do anything. Fining agents that work with wine include bentonite and sparkalloid.

Yes, cider is more like wine than beer. In other words it usually takes a little more time to be ready. Most of my ciders ferment for 3-4 weeks, at least. If it is cool outside (like now) I let them go for a couple of months before bottling. Then they need 3-5 weeks in the bottle to carb up and condition.

Patience is a important skill in the cidery. But you will be amply rewarded.

So I am new to making hard cider. I started two months ago and I’ve made one batch since that time. I have another going as of now. The batch I’m working on had a OG of 1.080 and I just measured and it’s at 1.034. I know it’s supposed to be done when it hits 1.000 but how much longer should I be expecting and do I need to add more sugar? It’s been over a week for fermenting and it’s still is cloudy. Is there anything I can do to speed up the process and to make the cider clearer? I’m using Cotes des Blanc yeast if that helps at all.
If anything, and especially if you are getting a sulfury smell, DAP is a good addition. However, time is what it takes to truly complete a cider. Like others have said, increasing temps will increase fermentation speed, and using clearing agents (I use gelatin and bentonite clay) help clear it up once fermentation is done, which can bee anywhere from 0.998 to 1.002 for me. 1/4 tsp of gelatin per 5 gallons of juice heated to about 85 degrees, same with bentonite. Often I add the gelatin first, then the bentonite. Some yeast strains flocculate more than others so you may not even need to clear once fermentation has come to a halt ; that is if you don't mind a little haze ( I don't use clearing agents with the two kveik strains I have used (voss and opshaug), they seem to flocculate nicely once they have finished their work).

My best Cider’s have sat 6-9 months in glass before I kegged or bottled. Right now I have 5 gal. in glass and another 5 in oak I started last fall.

You can try some pectinase (pectic enzyme) as well. It breaks down the pectin which can cause haze in your finished product. It's best to add a day or two before pitching yeast, if you sulfate your juice. I add it when I pitch. Alcohol reduces it's effectiveness, but it can't hurt to add some now.

It won't do much for the cloudiness you see now. That's mainly yeast, which will settle out when it's done.

Back