Thoughts?: AG Citra-Wheat IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tdexterc

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I've recently taken it upon myself to design my first recipe and I'd love to hear some of your thoughts. I used Beersmith and a bit of general knowledge to shape the recipe. I'm going for a Citra based IPA with big hop flavor of a DIPA but not a DIPA amount of bitterness (hence the number of late additions). My thoughts were that by using some wheat it would add to the body of the beer, and some honey malt to add some sweetness which will hopefully cut thought the big hop flavor. Thanks!

9 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 69.2 %
3 lbs White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 2 23.1 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 90L (90.0 SRM) Grain 3 3.8 %
8.0 oz Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 4 3.8 %

1.00 oz Columbus [14.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 41.7 IBUs
0.50 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 6 10.8 IBUs
0.50 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 7 6.5 IBUs
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 8 3.3 IBUs
1.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 9 7.1 IBUs
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 10 0.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 11 0.0 IBUs

1.0 pkg (White Labs #WLP001) [35.49 ml] Yeast 12 -

0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 13 0.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 14 0.0 IBUs

I'd drink the hell out of this beer. Citra-Cascade works well. I've done a lot of Citra-Amarillo too and both are great pairings.

Brew it up and drink all summer :)

Thanks for the feedback! I brewed this up a few weeks ago, and it's now almost ready to come out of the carboy. I'll bottle it up in a few days and report back with how it turned out!

Yeah, I think I totally underestimated how much I should dry hop with. If only It hadn't been dry hopping for a week already! The aroma probably won't be nearly as big as I was going for, but I suppose it's better to have to drastically adjust the dry hop amount rather than the boil amounts! As long as it turns out good, then the next time I do it I'll add more. Thanks!

There is nothing wrong with (in fact there is everything RIGHT with) multiple dry hop additions.

Feel free to dump more hops in there...or rack off the old hops and onto fresh hops.

It's hip, it's new...it's the cool thing to do. :cool:

Even if it is for only 3-5 days, it'll totally be worth it.

Another call for upping the dry hops, but otherwise, this looks great. It caught my eye as I'm going to be brewing a heavily wheated PA/IPA this weekend. I like the variation on a classic.

Here's my thoughts on how it turned out. I love how it tastes but agree with everyone's input. It definitely needed the extra dry hopping, which I upped to 1 oz each of Citra and Cascade. After pouring it into a glass, I can also see the it is waaay too dark for the style. Closer to a red ale than anything else. Next time I'll replace the 90 with a 40 instead. Cheers!

How did the body and mouthfeel come out with the 23% wheat? Good head retention, I assume? Would you keep that percentage of wheat should you rebrew this?

It's got really good head retention and a really interesting mouthfeel. I gave it to a friend of mine without telling them what it was and he said they could tell right away that there was something different about it. The wheat does a really good job adding extra body and helping to balance everything out. Like I mentioned before, the cara 90 was WAY too high. I had planned on cara 80 but my LHBS didn't have any so I got 90. 80 would have still been way too dark, so I will be changing this to a cara 40 or so to better match the color with the style I'll also be keeping the amount of wheat and honey malt the same. The honey malt adds a really nice touch of sweetness without being too overpowering.

So your post inspired me to brew a hoppy wheat beer for the warmer weather.

I went the more Wheat APA route, but thought I'd share.

7 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 68.2 %
2 lbs 8.0 oz White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 2 22.7 %
12.0 oz Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 3 6.8 %
4.0 oz Wheat, Torrified (1.7 SRM) Grain 4 2.3 %
0.50 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 20.2 IBUs
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 6 9.6 IBUs
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 1.0 min Hop 7 1.1 IBUs
1.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 1.0 min Hop 8 1.6 IBUs

Here's my thoughts on how it turned out. I love how it tastes but agree with everyone's input. It definitely needed the extra dry hopping, which I upped to 1 oz each of Citra and Cascade. After pouring it into a glass, I can also see the it is waaay too dark for the style. Closer to a red ale than anything else. Next time I'll replace the 90 with a 40 instead. Cheers!

If its Canadian Gambrinus Honey malt your using, I'd drop the Crystal to 20L or eliminate it completely - regardless, I think 40L is still too much.

hey did this beer turn out cloudy? and did u use a whirlfloc, im looking at brewing something very similiar and i want it to be nice and cloudy

Back