Thought I would share this great deal!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwwillmon

Reaction score
F.H. Steinbart.com is having a super deal on a new beer called "Oregon Dank" It is a 5 gallon extract kit they are giving for free if you pay shipping. The guy at the store told me it was an IPA style beer they came up with.

I did the 3 day shipping here to AZ and got the kit for $16!! Everything is locally grown in Oregon.

I can't wait for it to get here just in time for football season.

Note... I couldn't find it on their website I had to google "Oregon super dank" because I saw it on FB.

almost 24$ to OH. not worth it. thanks though. For some one close buy it probably is a good deal. let us know how it comes out.

Thanks for the tip @cwwillmon. Cost me $15.

Have not decided whether I will brew the kit as is or do it all grain and use the extract the next time I can starter wort.

$21 to So Cal. I don't even know how to brew extract!!!

Thanks for the heads up

Not crazy about IPA's. Think I'll wait for Midwestern Brewing to offer FREE shipping and load up on their "Beer, Simply Beer" kits for $19.99. They have 6 different styles.....I like the Stout and Brown Ale :mug:

Anyone received theirs yet? Been more than 3 days and still no shipping notification. Should be here by now with the 3 day shipping option that I chose.

Not crazy about IPA's. Think I'll wait for Midwestern Brewing to offer FREE shipping and load up on their "Beer, Simply Beer" kits for $19.99. They have 6 different styles.....I like the Stout and Brown Ale :mug:

Something else to think about is the $20 Palmer recipe kits available from Adventures in Homebrewing and Austin Homebrew Supply. With AIH if you add a free shipping recipe kit from their list of 12, the whole order ships free. I just did this and bought Palmer's Northern English Brown and the Raison D' Saison along with the free shipping Apricot Cream Ale recipe.

I got my kit on Saturday, surprised to even find a packet of yeast.

I plan to do a full boil, so will slightly modify the hop schedule. Also thinking about moving some or all of the 1min hops to the keg for dry hopping.

Sweet deal! BTW, they offer free local pick-up. I just paid $0.00. I'm going to go pick it up this weekend.

Just curious, is this really a local style of beer in the PNW or is it a marketing thing for their kit?

Anyone received theirs yet? Been more than 3 days and still no shipping notification. Should be here by now with the 3 day shipping option that I chose.

I had to call them for tracking. Mine comes today because of the holiday yesterday.

I got my kit on Saturday, surprised to even find a packet of yeast.

I plan to do a full boil, so will slightly modify the hop schedule. Also thinking about moving some or all of the 1min hops to the keg for dry hopping.

Just curious, is this really a local style of beer in the PNW or is it a marketing thing for their kit?

Wasn't sure but I talked to the guy in the store and he said it was all from local growers.

Update: Made this guy up on Sunday. Followed the instruction almost exactly. I reserved 80% of the LME for closer to the end of the boil. I found it odd that an IPA doesn't require a dry hop? Bry 97 is super slow to start and I also forgot to rehydrate, but it's bubbling away.

I spoke with the guy in the store too last winter when I ordered some of the mecca grade malts. He said some local commercial people were using the mecca grade malt and local hops for making all Oregon sourced beer, maybe that is what gave them the idea for the kit.

At 55IBU it is sort of an extra bitter APA or maybe a session IPA if you dry hopped it.

Got mine yesterday. Plan to brew it up Sunday. Please post any updates with this kit if possible along the brew stage.

UPDATE:

Alright...two weeks later I kegged, carbed, and tasted. It finished at 1.012 which landed me just shy of 5%. It was about as dark as you would think (about 24ish SRM). There was surprisingly no hoppy smell. The first sip was bitter enough to make your eye twitch. With any bitter beer, a few sips in is the sweet spot. The second and third pint was quite tasty.

I would definitely do this again with a few modifications. First, all grain. Second, maybe reserve some of those flavor and aroma hops for dry-hopping.

In all the years I've been making beer, this is the first kit I have ever done so I can't say anything to the quality of the kit compared to others. However, I would recommend this kit to someone who was just getting into the hobby.

A big thanks again to @cwwillmon for pointing this deal out. There's no beer like free beer. :mug: :tank: :rockin:

UPDATE:

Alright...two weeks later I kegged, carbed, and tasted. It finished at 1.012 which landed me just shy of 5%. It was about as dark as you would think (about 24ish SRM). There was surprisingly no hoppy smell. The first sip was bitter enough to make your eye twitch. With any bitter beer, a few sips in is the sweet spot. The second and third pint was quite tasty.

I would definitely do this again with a few modifications. First, all grain. Second, maybe reserve some of those flavor and aroma hops for dry-hopping.
Thanks for sharing. I plan to brew this in a day and so with some modification. I have had mixed results with later flameout type hops additions so I was a little worried about the 1min additions. I will do a full boil and want to keep the IBU close to the original recipe. Kind of leaning toward these hops additions;
14gm nugget 60min
28gm comet 15min
14gm nugget 10min
28gm Amarillo 5min
56gm centennial dry hops

Hoping to get some grapefruit flavor from the comet addition and a dank pungent aroma from the dry hop centennial hops. I want to use just what came in the kit, but I do have some more Amarillo and centennial hops I can add to the keg later if needed.

Thanks for sharing. I plan to brew this in a day and so with some modification. I have had mixed results with later flameout type hops additions so I was a little worried about the 1min additions. I will do a full boil and want to keep the IBU close to the original recipe. Kind of leaning toward these hops additions;
14gm nugget 60min
28gm comet 15min
14gm nugget 10min
28gm Amarillo 5min
56gm centennial dry hops

Hoping to get some grapefruit flavor from the comet addition and a dank pungent aroma from the dry hop centennial hops. I want to use just what came in the kit, but I do have some more Amarillo and centennial hops I can add to the keg later if needed.

That sounds like a solid plan. Keep us updated!

UPDATE:

In all the years I've been making beer, this is the first kit I have ever done so I can't say anything to the quality of the kit compared to others. However, I would recommend this kit to someone who was just getting into the hobby.

A big thanks again to @cwwillmon for pointing this deal out. There's no beer like free beer. :mug: :tank: :rockin:

Right on sir. Bottling mine this weekend.:rockin::rockin:

Yes, thanks for passing along this deal CW.
Poured my first (kegged) pint today. Color is light, as per style good clarity for age. Good head and decent retention. Not much, but pleasant aroma, stone fruit. Bitterness is low/medium for style. Flavor is slightly dank. Good clean beer and true to style. A very good, basic example of a west coast IPA. A quick easy brew and very good.

7g pre boil volume (full boil)
RO water
2.5g Gypsum and 3g CaCl2 added pre boil

OG. 1.048
FG. 1.010

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1506115715.751811.jpg

Okay, so that coupon code does not work for the SIMPLY BEER product line, fyi. They confirmed this with me.

Yep, you're correct. Sorry about that. The ad said "site wide" so I wrongly assumed it meant all items. But even after paying for shipping, $19.99 is a great deal. JMO

Yes, thanks for passing along this deal CW.
Poured my first (kegged) pint today. Color is light, as per style good clarity for age. Good head and decent retention. Not much, but pleasant aroma, stone fruit. Bitterness is low/medium for style. Flavor is slightly dank. Good clean beer and true to style. A very good, basic example of a west coast IPA. A quick easy brew and very good.

7g pre boil volume (full boil)
RO water
2.5g Gypsum and 3g CaCl2 added pre boil

OG. 1.048
FG. 1.010

View attachment 415045

Nicely done!! I will post my first glass pour in 2 weeks.

Thought I would share this home brew special, even if it's been bottled for 5 days. Maybe too soon for some bit got a little excited. I had the same OG. 1.048 = FG. 1.010. Nice and bitter. Not too hoppy. Very sweet at first. But overall a first brew success. I'm glad I wasn't sending pictures asking if it was infected. I will let the remaining bottles sit another week then dive in.

Home brew.jpg

Back