Thommas Coopers IPA - Dry Hopping?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gcarter

Reaction score
Fairly new to this "sport".

Tonight I dropped a Thomas Cooper's IPA into the primary. Used 454g Munton's Spraymalt Plain Light and 800g of dextrose. Temperature adjusted OG is 1.043, so I am hoping for ~ 5% ABV. I pitched the Coopers yeast in the kit.

I like hoppy beers and I was wondering what recommendations I could get for dry hopping this one (I have not dry hopped before). Hop, qty, & time would all be helpful!

Thanks!

My Coopers IPA has been in fermentor for 4 weeks now. Cleared up really nice from week 3 to week 4. My samples are bitter, with an aftertaste that sticks to the taste buds. I've never brewed, or had an IPA before, and I don't know if this kit needs any dry hopping for my taste. Unless dry hopping would be mostly Aroma.

Dry hopping is strictly for aroma. But since our senses of smell & taste are linked, aromas do tend to add to the over-all experience. A couple onces for 5-7 days will do nicely.

Racked to the secondary today, looking at an ABV of ~ 4.86%. I picked up a 56g package of Amarillo yesterday, planning on dropping it in for the last 7 days before bottling.

So here is a "is this normal?" question:

Picked up a hop bag when I bought the hops, was told I didn't need to worry about infection from the hops, but thought I should do something with the bag. I thoroughly wetted it in StarSan, wrung it out, dropped in the hops, tied a piece of fishing line to the end for easy removal (advice from the shop), and dropped it in. An hour later there is a head on top of the beer and a lot of CO2 being generated. Is this from the hops? From the StarSan? Is it normal? Or did I do something wrong?

TIA

It's likely just a krausen forming from Co2 coming out of solution. The hops & the bag create nucleation points for the gas. Or if the beer wasn't quite done fermenting, it could jump start it.

Popped the first one today, 1 week in primary, 3 in secondary with the dry hopping for the last week, and 3 weeks in the bottle. Good carbonation, nice head, good clarity, and most important - tastes great!

Nice man, I had bad luck on my 1st dry hop, I guess I should have let it ferment for longer then 3 weeks. I had to pull it out tho becasue of work. But after my trip I bottled it and let that sit for another 2 weeks. The pour was nice, great color, great head, great nose but the aftertaste was not great. It had a waterhose type of taste/ soapy taste. can anyone shed light on this? BTW my dry hops only sat for roughly 5 and half days (Simcoe) per guidance of the kit I bought.

Back