Thomas Coopers IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moistorious

Reaction score
Hi, First post!
I've brewed 2 Coopers beer kits already, the Mexican Cerveza and the Canadian blonde, and I'm planning on brewing the Thomas Coopers IPA tonight. I watched a video about it on craigtube, and I've done some googling and it sounds like it could use some more hops, and more fermentables. What I'm planning is:

1kg LME
1oz cascade (30 min)
1oz citra (15 min)
700 grams dextrose
~1kg Coopers hopped LME
Water to 23L

Does this sounds reasonable? I think that should put me somewhere around 6% abv, and hopefully reasonably flavorful. Should I pick up some yeast other than the one that comes with the kit? I'm going to my LHBS after work to pick up ingredients.

Okay, it looks like my measurements were wrong, my LHBS sells LME by the liter, so I believe it'll work out to 1.7kg each of LME and Hopped Extract.

From that link that'll push it up to OG 1.063, finishing at 1.016 for 6.25% ABV

Does that sound about right? Do those hops seem like good additions?

I like Citra and Cascade together but I'd suggest the Cascade at about 5 minutes left in the boil and Citra at flameout or better, as dry hopping. The beer I did with those 2 hops tasted like carbonated grapefruit juice to me but mine had a bit of alcohol too. One beer gave me a nice buzz.

Okay, I think I"m going to do cascade at 10 and citra at 5, then dry hop with both after 4 or 5 days of fermentation

Sounds good- let us know how it turns out. Personally, I like to try a kit as-is first so I have something to compare to, but I think your recipe is fine too!

I got this brewing last night, and I think it might turn out a little too hoppy for my tastes after sampling the Wort. I'll update when it's done for anyone else thinking of trying this :)

Back