This Sucks!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robski Brew

Reaction score
Had my US05 at 21*C on a Diacetyl Rest. Then dropped the temp to 14*C as part of my dry hopping schedule. The subsequent reduction of temp in the FV sucked a good pint of starsan up through the blow off tube!!!!

Anyone have any tips for preventing this? Other than paying attention!!! Some kind of expansion vessel.

wouldn’t be too worried other than the silicon tube and reservoir get a bit of a funk about them after a week or two in the FC.

Thanks for any pointers.

I wouldn't bother trying to prevent it. The chances of an infection happening at that stage is pretty low. What will happen is just the yeast will ferment the tiny bit of the starsan and that's not really an issue either. Alternative to starsan, you can use a water-alcohol mix, or vodka in the tube/bubbler. That won't ferment into anything and it's just as good of a sanitizer.

If you are hell bent on preventing it, you can use a rubber to plug the hole before cold crashing. It's fine though, really.

US-05 is an ale yeast and shouldn't need a diacetyl rest. It also doesn't require a cold crash, just a little more time in the fermenter to let the trub settle. I start the ferment near the lower end of the yeast's preferred range for a week, then let it warm to room temp until I decide to bottle.

There's also a link here showing the HBT Spiderman Balloon SuckBack Elimination System.
I cannot quickly find it. Search mylar balloon and see threads like this

This works well also.

https://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com/store/CO2-Carbon-Dioxide-Harvester-Kit.html

3210-Wide-Mouth-Canning-Jar-CO2-Harvester-Kit-Logo.jpg

Back