This Really Annoys Me Pet Peeve Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And again, if you say "and again" again even though what you're saying is the first time you've ever told it to me, I'm going to punch you in the throat.

Highways and streets that have more than one name.

don't ever go to Atlanta, where there are TWO Peachtree Streets downtown (Peachtree St & West Peachtree St. at some places they are consecutive streets, but then there are places where 1 or 2 roads separate them), which converge going north & turns into Peachtree Rd then splits again into Peachtree Rd and Peachtree Industrial Blvd, with New Peachtree Rd paralleling it for a while. It eventually becomes McEver Rd

or do you mean like here in NoVA, where Route 7 is also known as Leesburg Pike and King Street (Broad Street thru Falls Church), plus Harry Byrd Highway?

Reactions: Kee
Prairie Home Companion recently made fun of that. Paraphrasing: "okay, so you're going to head west on Peachtree Road, then take a left when you get to Peachtree Court. Go past Peachtree Avenue and take the next right - that's Old Peachtree Road - follow that until you get to Peach Street ..."

Yes, the same or similar names are bad too. But yesterday near Orlando google maps had the highway name, the street signs were the same but the official address was not Highway XXX but Altamonte Dr. And my wife's GPS took us to another street. And that was after traveling a highway that was both Highway 27 and Highway 19. Some signs gave both names, others one name (apparently at random).

About 5 minutes from my house we have north, east, west, and old, blackstock roads...........and they pretty much all connect to one another. Everybody that calls for directions from one of them seems to know that they are on blackstock Rd, but can't manage to figure out which one.

About 5 minutes from my house we have north, east, west, and old, blackstock roads...........and they pretty much all connect to one another. Everybody that calls for directions from one of them seems to know that they are on blackstock Rd, but can't manage to figure out which one.

Oh yeah, try giving directions where I live, or my 2nd apartment. Near to impossible without following somebody or having GPS.

Look at this map.

View attachment 1469232104482.jpg

We live on a street that has the same name, spelled exactly the same, same lack of spacing between what could be two words, and it's also a "drive", as the next city. Both are in the same zip code. Depending on the software used, sometimes directions will default to the larger city, not ours. Sometimes, our city is just lumped in as that other city. The other city does border us on one side. The two streets are 30-45 minutes apart, depending on traffic. It's gotten to the point to that when we have a delivery, we are sure to give them the two main cross streets, the closest cross street, and specify that it is NOT in the next city. We tell them not to go to the other city, and don't be fooled by the exit sign with the street name on it if coming from the north west. That's the other street. In the other city.

My buddy lives on a crescent, but the signs on one end say wildrose cr. And wild rose cr. On the other end.

. 806.jpg

Oh yeah, try giving directions where I live, or my 2nd apartment. Near to impossible without following somebody or having GPS.

Look at this map.

Riverside was easy to navigate when I was growing up near there. You simply found a street with a yellow center line marker and followed it until you got out of Riverside. Never could find any house on other streets.

Riverside was easy to navigate when I was growing up near there. You simply found a street with a yellow center line marker and followed it until you got out of Riverside. Never could find any house on other streets.

It's still mixes people up because you're not going in straight lines.

I think the town was designed this way to keep truck traffic out of it, because you can't get through it without getting all fouled up direction wise. There's no shortcut, you go around it or avoid it all together.

My wife takes my son to school, I rarely do it, however my 7 year old tells me which way to go when I do. Our place is on external side street that goes north south.

Wow, I'm in your area monthly. To visit my customer there I exit business 85 at N Blackstock Rd :D

The street I used to live on was spelled 3 different ways on the street signs.... in a 6 block stretch.

Was at Six Flags today. Namely, at the water park.

I fvcking hate the smell of sweaty chlorinated swimsuits.

I stood in line quite a bit. It's like smell my sweaty ass as you wait......

GD - Did I tell you I hate that chlorinated butt odor infused swim suit smell.

View attachment 1469407316620.jpg

We went to Six Flags once. That was enough. So much lines. Many waiting. Such short rides.

The park was nice. Clean. Most of the rides mostly worked. I guess the parts falling off the wooden coaster just added to the thrill.

We went to Six Flags once. That was enough. So much lines. Many waiting. Such short rides.

The park was nice. Clean. Most of the rides mostly worked. I guess the parts falling off the wooden coaster just added to the thrill.

The trick to theme parks is to find a friend with a broken leg, or even an old air-cast. Then you can go up the exit ramps and get right on every ride

I don't know why it bothers me, but there's a major road in Milwaukee called Miller Park Way (guess what big landmark is on that road) but people insist on calling it "The Miller Parkway." Dunno why, and dunno why it bugs me but it does.

I don't know why it bothers me, but there's a major road in Milwaukee called Miller Park Way (guess what big landmark is on that road) but people insist on calling it "The Miller Parkway." Dunno why, and dunno why it bugs me but it does.

I hear you.

I went to Miller's Ale House in Oakbrook Illinois when it first opened. The only ale on tap was Blue Moon. So, NOT much of an ale house if you ask me. I just remember thinking these are all fooking lagers.

WTF ???

If I recall correctly the pints were 12 ounces. They're NOT pints, not ales, a name means nothing.

Damn, I just figured it out. Ale vs Ales. Duhh... LOL

Anyhow, the place sucks IMHO. Who deep fries lobster and drizzles it with cheddar cheese? Then serves it with waffle fries.

I tried it..... once. Once.

It's on my list...

The list of places to NEVER return to for beer and food.

Getting cock blocked by your mother-in-law...............the very day that the OB/GYN gives your wife the green-light post baby. Evidently an unannounced 2 to 3 day visit.

On the topic of in-laws...

The wife's parents never bother to call ahead to let us know they're coming, then will just walk right in like they own the place, no knocking. Drives me feckin' nuts!

The wife's parents never bother to call ahead to let us know they're coming, then will just walk right in like they own the place, no knocking. Drives me feckin' nuts!

Start walking around the house naked. Eventually they'll learn to call ahead.

They have a key or is the door unlocked?

If they have a key, do you have a key to their place?

I'd lock the door, or just show up to their place to raid the beer out of the fridge. Only when they are gone though... and leave the empties.

:D

We live in rural Nova Scotia, so the door is usually unlocked. The only real reason I have to ever lock it is to keep them from walking in.

In the summer months I put a vinyl window tint on the front door to help keep the house cool. You can see out the window, but people can't see in. I've had a few private chuckles at the confused look on the MIL's face when she tries to open the locked door and is forced to knock. :D

A my best friend had that problem right after they got married.

His in-laws walked in early in the morning on a Saturday between 7 and 8AM. He heard them in his sleep and thought WTF.

They were in the house calling for his wife. Not announced, not invited and early in the morning on a day off.

He had to read the riot act to his wife. Then he demanded the keys back. I'm sure privately between him and his wife.

Such and invasion of privacy and such a bad way to start a marriage. He definitely set some boundaries.

They have a key or is the door unlocked?

If they have a key, do you have a key to their place?

I'd lock the door, or just show up to their place to raid the beer out of the fridge. Only when they are gone though... and leave the empties.

:D

In the fridge.

I know a lot of families and friends who do the walk right in thing. My wife and I have family like that. My wife is like that. And she won't give me back her keys.

Speaking of. She is always locking me out the house. Seriuosly. I have to tag out the door of I go in the yard. I'll go to come back in and find the door locked. I'm all, WTF, woman!? Ans she's all, well the door was unlocked.

No ****! I was outside!

Reactions: Kee
Speaking of. She is always locking me out the house. Seriuosly. I have to tag out the door of I go in the yard. I'll go to come back in and find the door locked. I'm all, WTF, woman!? Ans she's all, well the door was unlocked.

No ****! I was outside!

My inlaws are like this. If a door has a lock on it, in their mind it should be locked. My wife and I use the garage door as our lock. Anytime the MIL is visiting, she insists on locking the kitchen to garage door, even when the garage door is down.

Even worse are the locks that let you open the door from the inside, but it is locked from the outside.

My inlaws are like this. If a door has a lock on it, in their mind it should be locked. My wife and I use the garage door as our lock. Anytime the MIL is visiting, she insists on locking the kitchen to garage door, even when the garage door is down.

Even worse are the locks that let you open the door from the inside, but it is locked from the outside.

I had house guests that more than one time locked the bottom lock on my front and back door, even though I told them not too... (They stayed up late for a hen party, but not me) I used the keyed deadbolt, not the bottom fricken lock. If you lock and twist the button, it doesn't self unlock when you open the door.

Let the dog out the next morning. Locked myself out at 20F. I rang the doorbell a dozen times, then had to trudge around in knee deep snow at 6AM to the back door lock box. I had stern words with our house guest the next day. I said if you can't abide by my wishes I don't want to here. My wife was angry about me bitchin' out her friend. I told my wife to lock up and not let her friend to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back