This may be interesting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pintocb

Reaction score
I brewed a Belgian Wit a couple of weeks ago and moved it into secondary today. I left about an inch of the beer on top of the cake in my primary then dumped in two gallons of apple juice. Can't wait to see what this will taste like sitting on Wit yeast, orange peel and coriander. Could be great, may be horrible beyond belief. I'll update in a few weeks if it piques anyone curiosity.

cb

Belgian Wit isn't really going to benefit from being in a secondary. Secondary is for aging and clearing, neither of which a witbier needs.

Wow. Thanks for totally missing the point of my post.

Cb

I know, right?

Let me know how it turns out. I used the S04 on my first batch of the season, and in a few weeks, I'll be getting some stayman juice. I've got some harvested Forbidden Fruit yeast from a wit, as well as some saison blend harvested. Thinking about trying one of those on some juice.

I brewed a Belgian Wit a couple of weeks ago and moved it into secondary today. I left about an inch of the beer on top of the cake in my primary then dumped in two gallons of apple juice. Can't wait to see what this will taste like sitting on Wit yeast, orange peel and coriander. Could be great, may be horrible beyond belief. I'll update in a few weeks if it piques anyone curiosity.

cb

That's going to be an odd spiced cider. At absolute worst you can give it to some teenagers.

I just bottled a batch of edworts bavarian hefe, and I was thinking of doing the same thing. I know the finished product will be cloudy, but I think that the bananna and clove tones will be awesome in a cider.

Belgian Wit isn't really going to benefit from being in a secondary. Secondary is for aging and clearing, neither of which a witbier needs.

nice job missing the OP's intent -
as I'm a noob I don't get why you spank him for this - is it not coustomary to rack to a secondary prior to bottling to make siphoning off into bottles a more efficent excercise? (since I have yet to bottle my first batch... I may be wrong) paying attention to bottle filling, AND keeping the racking cane out of the yeast cake in the primary at the same time seems to me to be a bit of an excercise.

To the OP - keep us posted -
I love belgian white ale, and I LOVE Cider... sounds like it might just be a killer brew.

He's right, a Wit doesn't need time in secondary. I did this so I could pour the juice onto the yeast cake, but wasn't ready to bottle the Wit. He was trying to help me, so I was a bit "assholian" in my reply. Too much of my own cider.....<grin>

(He still missed the point though.....)

nice job missing the OP's intent -
as I'm a noob I don't get why you spank him for this - is it not coustomary to rack to a secondary prior to bottling to make siphoning off into bottles a more efficent excercise? (since I have yet to bottle my first batch... I may be wrong) paying attention to bottle filling, AND keeping the racking cane out of the yeast cake in the primary at the same time seems to me to be a bit of an excercise.

To the OP - keep us posted -
I love belgian white ale, and I LOVE Cider... sounds like it might just be a killer brew.

Well, the comment about wits not needing secondary, while true, was uncalled for as it doesn't really pertain to the thread. But just so you know: wheat beers in general don't NEED a secondary. You can, if you want, but since secondary fermentation is mostly for clearing, and wheats are cloudy, you don't need it. Anyone can keep their racking cane from sucking up a bunch of trub, especially if you have a redirection tip on your siphon.

Personally, I've all but abandoned the concept of secondary for all my beers. Just another step, another chance for contamination, another chance for oxidation. If I'm going to bulk age, I'll do it in the keg. But I find that leaving it on the primary cake for a month is great for most beers. Crash-cool for a few days to clear it up more and compact the cake, and bam...bottle or keg.

I GOT the point, I just didn't finish reading and I did not notice the forum. My mistake for thinking I knew what I was talking about and not reading enough before spouting off my knowledge.

Anyways, enjoy the apfel-wit!

I GOT the point, I just didn't finish reading and I did not notice the forum. My mistake for thinking I knew what I was talking about and not reading enough before spouting off my knowledge.

Anyways, enjoy the apfel-wit!

I will. And my first response was waayyyyy to bitchy when you were offering advice to a noob.

Cheers!

A little early, but I tried a bottle last night. Not as effervescent as I'd like, but the spices were ok. A little heavy on the clove, but not NEARLY as bad as the Witte. The leftover beer in the bottom has helped with head retention....a tad. Not an untasty brew. It would benefit from racking once. The spices (cloves) got stuck in the valve when I bottled. Looking forward to what a few months will do.

I actually did a cider with WLP300 Weizen yeast. It's actually very nice...;)

Hey, that is great to hear, I did this around a month ago and it is starting to settle now.
I bumped it with honey and brown sugar, hoping the yeast will pucker out prior to going completely dry.

20080915 - Cider
5.5 gals apple juice - OG 1.046
2 lbs brown sugar.
2 lbs honey
WLP300 yeast.

Wit yeast would be a little spicy, but if the WLP300 turns out great, I think the WIT would be my next experiment.
Question - How long primary / ageing did you do?
I have patience, just not with brewing.

Back