This is the sort of thing that pisses me off about BA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harrydrez

Reaction score
Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René - Brouwerij Lindemans - BeerAdvocate
I poured this 750ml corked and capped bottle into a champagne flute. It formed a 2" white head over the clear, orangey-golden brew. Foamy head lasts well, and lacing is nice. Aroma is a piercing tartness with a woody-soil tinge to it. This one doesn't have the balance of the straight Lindemans Gueuze. Its flavor seems to focus on the tartness which overwhelms any of the more subtle notes. I drank part of it with a lime to cut the overwhelming tartness. I don't have a very sophisticated Lambic / Gueuze pallet and this may be my shortcoming but I did not like this particular Gueuze.

Boon Geuze - Brouwerij Boon - BeerAdvocate

Head of white and orange body. Unsettling aroma of forgotten fruit left in a lunch bag for three days too long. Sour and earthy, like overripe french cheese. Zing-zap pow on the palate. I poured this for four of my friends, and we all poured it out. I cannot see the hops, unless that is was tastes like rotting leather (or what I imagine that might taste like). This is not as bad as I make it sound, but not much better. This is fabulously interesting, but anything but enjoyable.

This beer pours a slightly murky amber-orange color. Carbonation level seems high upon viewing. The head is white, deep, airy and fluffy. It sticks around too. Aroma is sour and tart. This beer is so tart and sour it is almost undrinkable. I can't imagine this is the taste they're after, but I've never had a gueuze before so I don't know for sure. The body of this beer is very light and the carbonation level isn't as high as it appears to be. Huge sour apple notes. Highly acidic. 3 times as tart as the Rodenbach Alexander I had a while ago. Maybe this is an acquired taste type of thing. Or maybe this one is stale. In any case I can say this isn't enjoyable.

They're rating beers poorly because they adhere to the style, it blows my mind. I think I want to choke the guy who rated the Lindemans.

I look at BA like those crappy wine magazines. It's a good place to get ideas, but never listen to the boo birds.

BA is a good resource for some information. It's like a community garden, sometimes there is a great cabbage there to pick, but you need to get past the weeds to get at it.

You're taking BA too seriously, most people review beers for their own sakes, regardless of whether or not it adheres to the style. I know i do.

It's hit or miss with BA. Sometimes they are spot on with my reviews, other times they rate a crappy beer higher than it should be.

I can understand stating whether or not you like a particular beer, but IMO a rating should be at least somewhat inclusive of the style.

If it truly bothers you, is it possible you are missing the point of why most of us homebrew? I brew for myself, I am the sole judge as to whether my beer is any good or not. Granted its nice props when my friends think its one of the best beers they have had, but it doesn't hurt my feelings if they spit it out in a spray of revulsion(this has only happened once by a narrow minded SWMBO of a friend) . I laugh and pour myself another. Why let three strangers decide if a beer is worthy? Trust yourself, you are the only one you need to please. You said it yourself they are adhering to style. Well I say style be damned, drink and brew what you like. Dont become one of the masses(or you may start like BMC).:D

Back