This is a little different...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bpboyarko

Reaction score
I am not a home brewer, but I got involved looking for a way to deplete grains of carbohydrates because I recently learned I was diabetic. I reasoned that spent brewing grains might be what I need, so I made several 1.0 gallon batches, and it seems to work. I was dumping the wort on my trees because I only wanted the grain, but then I figured if I'm going through all of this work I might as well get a few beers out of it. So I'm currently gearing up for doing 3.0 gallon batches and am going to attempt to make some pale ales and IPAs. Wish me luck....

Well, that's an unusual way to get into brewing. You can keep it simple or read a lot and really get into it - whichever you want. Good luck.

Welcome, and what a back door entry? The recipe forums on here are filled with tried and true home runs to keep you busy for years.
Eric

Drinking beer may cause your blood sugar levels to fluctuate, depending on how much you drink, what diabetic condition you have and what the residual (unfermented) sugar the beer has. I've heard its best to keep the beer on the light side if you are diabetic.
So you may want to try session and brut IPA and pale ale recipes.

Welcome to HBT.
I'm also diabetic, type 2. I haven't seen more than 2 or 3 points difference in my numbers from consuming a few beers (emphasis on few).
Haven't tried using the grain for bread yet.
Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

Back