This idea look ok?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

labatts28

Reaction score
My goal here is to do a crude, cheap, small scale, indoor ferment of frozen corn to alcohol while avoiding the whole distilation process.

I have no experience at all on the subject but I did some reseach here & there and from what I learned this is what I came up with:

In a plastic container such as this

http://graphics.samsclub.com/images/products/0002022010103_LG.jpg

would be added 2 standard size bags of frozen corn, 2 pounds of sugar, 14 grams of active dry yeast and enough 110` degree hot water to almost fill the container.

Mix very well and store it in a dark place for a few weeks with occasional shaking and open the lid for air exchange every now n then.

Take the mash outdoors if it smells to horrible, filter it through a t-shirt then through a micron + activated carbon filter.

Do the ratios look decent?

Would this alcohol be to watered down or taste to nasty to use?

Any warnings, improvements or adjustments that should be made?

Thanks

What kind of yeast? They have that super yeast thats for liqour that goes to like 25-30% alc or something like that.

Welcome to the forum, how old are you by the way?

I personally wouldn't put frozen corn in anything, just get some high fructose corn syrup or use your regular table sugar, brown sugar or molasses.

Just to let you know this forum isn't about making hooch, and distilling of any kind is illegal inthe U.S. so if you are in the states we can't talk about distilling. This forums is all about making good beer in small quantities to be enjoyed at home. I don't think you will enjoy the resulting "liquor" you are making very much. But good luck with that.

Oh and by the way do a search for pruno, that will probably taste better than your corn liquor...

in our experience, the only reason to make crap like that is because the person isn't old enough to go buy cheap liquor, which is cheaper and tastes better. You're in the wrong place.

and as a practical matter, I've not seen any posts by others that would indicate that anyone here has done what you are proposing.

If you are looking for first hand advice, you might want to try another forum 2 or 3 doors down.

shafferpilot said:
in our experience
:off:

Theres your problem.

And the yeast is for making bread.

Thanks for the usefull information Donasay!

labatts28 said:
:off:

Theres your problem.

Thanks for the usefull information Donasay!

What does "Theres your problem" mean?

What the others are saying is that what you're proposing will undoubtedly have alcohol in it. It will not taste good, and you will not know if you have 1% or 5% alcohol. Bread yeast will not ferment as cleanly as an ale or wine yeast, and it will die off before the desired alcohol level is reached as well as leave a bad flavor.

You can make wine and/or mead from grocery store items. I have some decent recipes. None of them involve corn, though.

We are here to make good craft beer and wine, not hooch, so we really can't be any more helpful. Google can be a much better help for hooch making.

labatts28 said:

Yep, that pretty much seals the deal, I am guessin' a youngin' makin' hooch!

Seriously though, don't do it, it will be a waste of time, not to mention illegal...

I love these. So basically, you have a container that is small enough to hide in your closet so your mom can't find it. You want to avoid any tell-tale items so you aren't found out and want to use household items that any kid can get without an issue.

I'm guessing 15

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back