This Beer Sucks, IMO

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Franiblector

Reaction score
Belgian white beers have become one of my favorite styles.

And I do have to also mention, I have fallen in love with Sam Adams.
Ah his robust Cherry Wheat, his zingy Hefeweizen, his bold Boston Ale....

But I was sorely disappointed today... *sigh*

I picked up a six pack of Sam Adams White Ale, with great enthusiasm.
I eagerly awaited through 45 minutes of traffic for that first sip out of a frosty mug of bubbly golden escence.

What sensations came over me when I took my sip? What overcame me as I let the hazy yellow liquid gold flow down my throat?

Well, I guess the feeling that came over me was probably akin to something all you men out there have more than likely experienced thus far in your years...
It was like being walked in on during a completely passionate moment and losing all ability to continue: blue balls.

Now I don't know what that feels like in the real world but I can only imagine.

It's like finding out your true love has chronic halitosis, or smacks her food while eating, or smacks her gum incessantly, or nags to no end.

Sam Adams White Ale sux.

There was no flavor to it at all. In fact, it reminded me of some crappy canned brew. It tasted thin, slightly metallic, and didn't have one hint of fruit flavor, corriander, or any other spice for that matter.
Even when I burped it was flat - no after taste or anything.

Just.....

blah.

I leave you, my brewin buds, adieu

*crushed*

Sorry to hear that.....and thanks for a good chuckle first thing in the morning comparing it to blue balls.....Now im sure it wasn't THAT bad :D Ive never tried it so I don't know....but my first batch of belgian white just got racked to secondary yesterday. I could taste the spices in mine.

Anyways...I tried that sam adams cherry wheat once and I didnt like it. I think it was the cherry that I didnt care for. My g'f drank the whole 6 pack though.

Franiblector,
I too have purchased a 12er of this last weekend. My 1st taste I wasn't quite sure what it was that I was tasting. It just seemed "strange" to me. Initially kind of sour and flat. 2nd gulp better I guess or just used to it. Wasn't what I was expecting but I didn't have the gag reflex going quite like your experience. I'll drink em (I'm bone dry on drinkable home brew expect for the wifes apricot wheat) but won't get them again.

the only sam adams i've liked is the boston lager, the summer ale, and the winter ale, the rest just tastes to me like they poured cherry juice or what not into it. i don't think i like the whit beers as it is, but i've only had the same adams whit stuff... i'm a pleb ;)

Seriously, guys, expecting Sam Adams to make a good Wit was not a good move ;)

Sam Adams makes some decent beers, but there's not one of theirs that I would consider world-class, and anything that's a specialty like a Wit is going to be a novelty show at best. (Anyone remember their Cherry 'Lambic"...do they still make that stuff??)

There's not one style Sam Adams makes that a different microbrewery in this country does not make better as far as I can tell. They're hardly a microbrewery anymore. They have multiple facilities, amke hundreds of thousands of barrels, etc.

The bottom line is, a great Wit (Hoegaarden, Celis, Blanche de Bruges) is an art form that most Americans can't appreciate. Sam adams is not an artistic brewery. They bring medium-brew to the masses. But they are nowhere near top-tier as far as the beer brewed in this country.

When you see them making a Wit, it tells you just how trendy Wit has become (incredibly trendy). You're gonna see a lot of breweries jumping on that bandwagon, but expecting them to be anywhere near as good as Hoegaarden or Celis is a recipe for disappointment.

I remember thinking Sam Adams was the best thing in the world...and then I started broadening my horizons. Go to a specialty beer shop that carries some true small microbreweries and foreign representations of classic styles and I think you'll end up finding a lot more satisfaction than you will in a Sammies. Just my opinion. :D

I couldn't agree with you more Janx.

Like I said, I have become a beer snob. I used to drink Bud/Micelob/etc. Now I can't stand it. (oh the horror!)

Sam Adams is just a replacement for budget purposes.

I meant by no means to elevate them to the microbrewery quality beer.

I do have to say though, Blue Moon definitely tops my list of inexpensive Wit Beers.

Unfortunately I can't get New Belgium's Summer Wheat, Blanche de Bruges, Hoegaarden, or even Celis here in Nashville. Blue Moon is sold at the grocery store, and at $7 a 6 pack, it solves my budget concerns AND gives me the fix I need when my homebrew Belgian Wit is all gone.

Have you had good luck making a tasty Wit at home?

That's what we're making this weekend...working on a recipe now. My goal is to get as close to Celis as possible so I can have Wit all summer long :D

YUM!

Yes, my homebrew Wit is actually pretty good. It's a little more bold in flavor than microbrewery versions I have tried, not bold per se re alcohol content or anything, just bold taste.
It's OK. I need to perfect it though.
As you know, I am still using kits. I know I know. But they were gifts at Christmas and I can't just let them go to waste. Plus, it's good practice.
Anyways, if I get a chance tonight, I'll drink one and give you the run-down on how I think it tastes (at work now).

It's pretty good nonetheless. I brewed it on Jan 30th. In primary for 7 days (slow fermentation). Racked to secondary too soon, so it continued fermenting in secondary. Left it in the secondary for 21 days. Bottled on Feb 27th.
I have only been putting one six pack at a time in the fridge, so I guess it's been bottle conditioning at 68 degrees since Feb 27th. The longer it sits, the better it tastes. I've got 4 six packs left (I'm a beer drinkin' woman!).

Franiblector said:
YUM!

Yes, my homebrew Wit is actually pretty good. It's a little more bold in flavor than microbrewery versions I have tried, not bold per se re alcohol content or anything, just bold taste.
It's OK. I need to perfect it though.
As you know, I am still using kits. I know I know. But they were gifts at Christmas and I can't just let them go to waste. Plus, it's good practice.
Anyways, if I get a chance tonight, I'll drink one and give you the run-down on how I think it tastes (at work now).

It's pretty good nonetheless. I brewed it on Jan 30th. In primary for 7 days (slow fermentation). Racked to secondary too soon, so it continued fermenting in secondary. Left it in the secondary for 21 days. Bottled on Feb 27th.
I have only been putting one six pack at a time in the fridge, so I guess it's been bottle conditioning at 68 degrees since Feb 27th. The longer it sits, the better it tastes. I've got 4 six packs left (I'm a beer drinkin' woman!).

Nothin' wrong with a good kit.....think you can post some ingredients for that Wit, though? :D

NUCC98 said:
Nothin' wrong with a good kit.....think you can post some ingredients for that Wit, though? :D
Sure. Purchased at www.MidwestSupplies.com.
BELGIAN WITBIER
The Belgian Wit WYeast #3944 is recommended and is responsible this beers refreshing flavor.

Our ingredients for this recipe include:

6 pounds of Wheat malt extract
1/2 lb. Carapils malt
1 oz. Hallertau bittering hops
1 oz. Hallertau aroma hops
1 Tblsp Coriander
1 Tblsp Orange peel
Belgian Wit WYeast #3944
priming sugar
muslin bag

Add coriander and orange peel for the last 10 minutes of the boil.

GAH!
Ya stumped me. It's been about a month since I brewed this batch. I can't remember, but I think it was bitter.
It was dried out orange peel.
I think Janx may have answered this question before: bitter vs. sweet orange peel.
It might be in a post about when to add orange peel to a batch.

Janx said:
For Wit, you are supposed to use bitter I believe. I'm not sure what sweet is used for.

After poking around a bit, I'm pretty sure you're right. I think the sweet's more for the holiday witner brews....

The Classic Beer Styles Belgian Ale book only mentions bitter peel for Wits (or anything for that matter), and the "clones" of Celis and Hoegaarden in Beer Captured call for bitter as well.

Yeah, I can see the sweet being more of a holiday thing. Maybe in weird special beers like Stille Nacht. Cheers! :D

Thanks for the SA review. I had been reluctant to try it. If you ever get the chance to try Bell's Winter White it's definetly worth the time and nine bucks. It's my favorite beer next to their Oberon.

As with your HB-did you remove the corriander after the boil? I didn't with mine and it seems to be pretty strong. I have only drank two of my recent batch. It still needs time. ;)
Kip

Can I ask how much coriander you added and how long after brewing you sampled and thought it was too strong? I'm working out my Wit recipe for this weekend now...

Thanks! :D

I've got to start getting on the internet at work :mad: I just bought a six of the SA wit on the way home. It's not bad,(like blueballs bad ;) ) it's just weak no real flavor or taste.

Celis white was one of my favorite beers, hell all the Celis beers were tasty :cool: I have just now started seeing them for sell in my area since they moved. Has anyone that drank them when they were in Texas tryed them since they moved? I'm going to buy some this weekend, just afraid I'll be disapointed.

Franiblector,
Here I am sitting in my garage brewing up a batch for the wife (Very Berry Honey Wheat Ale :rolleyes: ) and all I got to drink is either this here SA White Ale or my own Apricot Wheat (again for the wife, I don't really like fruity brews). Which should I drink? :) Bummer is the stuff I got in the works; a Stout & IPA for my own tastes isn't ready.

Janx said:
Can I ask how much coriander you added and how long after brewing you sampled and thought it was too strong? I'm working out my Wit recipe for this weekend now...

Thanks! :D

About two teaspoons sounds about right. It was premeasured with the orange peel in the kit. I think the problem was that they were in the fermentor for two weeks. The little seedies were clogging up my bottling tip. Quite a pain :rolleyes: It's been about a month, a few days before Fran started hers.

It could be just personal taste. I LOVE cilantro in any quanities. Just serve it up plain or on toast! The seeds of the same plant though... phew! take it easy!
Kip

Back