This Batch May Not Make It!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

broo_dood

Reaction score
i got a bohemian pilsner the recipe is BeerTools.com Recipe Library - Down the Pils
i brewed it on 2-22 had it in primary until 3-11 and has been in secondary until now. i was getting ready to bottle and 1st thing i noticed was no "beer smell" when airlock came off. i racked to bottling bucket anyway w/priming sugar and took small sip before bottling. yuck! no beer taste at all. maybe a little sweet...i don't know. just not right. i know one problem i have which was only boiling wort for 60min as opposed to 90 which i only later learned. other than that yeast was wyeast2007...did the crush nutrient thing and pitched as directed.

i'm thinking this one is beyond redemption. advice please.

What was the FG?

Your most likely fine, but are you sure it was done fermenting? It should be after a month. Maybe you racked it to secondary to soon.

Anyway, give it a solid 3 weeks. Odds are in favor of it turning out fine. Did you hit your target OG?

If the gravity is correct, just set it aside and let it age for a couple months. Lagers do take more time.

my bad. i don't have hydrometer yet as i broke the last one when it slid out other end of tube it was in.

i just figured since it was in primary for around 17 days it should of been well attenuated. i had no airlock activity for 4 or 5 days prior. i had nice yeast cake which i washed and still have.

could i make starter with that washed-yeast and this near-beer?

...or, i also got some notty that i could hydrate and pitch? any ideas?

This isn't bottled, then?

If it's not, you could definitely repitch some yeast if it's not finished.

I'd suggest buying a hydrometer, and using it before bottling though.

no. it is in bottling bucket with 5oz. of priming sugar. would you recommend the yeast i harvested or just pitching dry packet? i also have a safbrew-06 dry east packet for wheat beer.

thanks all. :mug:

i re-pitched w/dry yeast packet and will definitely get hydrometer soon.

Back