This actually isn't all that good

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RBChallenger

Reaction score
So... since my fiancee and I have started brewing we have made an observation. Several of the beers that we have enjoyed in the past just don't have that same pizazz. As is the case with many home brewers (I assume), we have discovered that we prefer our homebrew to just about anything (with the exception of Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout... and I'm working on that one). I assume many you have had similar experiences.

As a side note, I consider myself extremely lucky. While I am definitely the driving force behind our brewing experiments. My fiancee is really into it. She doesn't really want to formulate recipes or anything of that nature. However, she loves brewing with me (and I with her), she loves drinking the brew and she is full of questions. I get a kick out of her getting so into it and throwing around the terminology and her knowledge. Basically, this just amounts to a rant on the fact that picking up the brewing hobby has been a great experience for us and it is something we can not only share amongst each other but with our friends.

Funny you say that...

I had a beer at a local pizza joint after work today, and maybe it was an old keg, but it tasted a bit off. Come to think of it, I don't think I've had anything but homebrew for at least two months. Maybe our palates are just adapting to the swill we have been making?;)

If I am not drinking my homebrew, like at a restaurant, I usually drink Tequila as I cant stand the beers. But there is this one pub close by that has 25 different craft beers on draft. 90 minute Doghead, Racer 5, and Black Bear Stout are some of the ones I remember at the moment. I will drink a few pints there.

Yeah, it's hard to enjoy a beer with friends when you are at one of those "pubs" that only serve the big companies products.

I was watcing hockey playoffs at the above pub and kept thinking I should get some beer at the beer and wine and drink it in the parking lot between periods. lol.

On the plus side we met the manager for the above place and he started asking us what we think he should bring in as he would like ta add a micro. http://phillipsbeer.com/ came to mind. Hope he goes thorugh with it!

I htink I'll be spending a lot of the games at home, drinking HB and watching the HD big screen.

I agree.

I've almost been drinking too much with all the homebrew I have in the fridge.

It's already been paid for, so whats the use in paying 8 bucks a sixer at the liquor store?

EDIT: It is great to have the all important support of the lady.

I know my tastebuds have evolved quite a bit over time. I used to love everything sam adams put out (minus the cherry wheat yuck!!) but now I can't remember the last time I bought any. My wife supports my hobby, but doesn't sound like she's as into it as your fiance, she'll come out and toss in the hops so she can say she helped, and doesn't mind hanging out and drinking as long as the weather is decent. she's gone from MGD lite to porters in about 10 years, still isn't real fond of the stouts yet, but I'm working on it!
If you like samuel smiths, look around for Jamils oatmeal stout recipe, I've done it in the past, and it's about spot on. I'm trying out a new cooler today with a pretty reliable shaksepeare stout recipe can't wait to try this one. all hail the darkside

The wife and I brew together. She takes an interest in just about any hobby or activity that I pick up. When we brew, I do most of the work and she makes sure I don't forget anything. When we bottle, I prep the bottles and she fills them and I cap them.
She was very disappointed the other day when I bottled without her. It took a lot more time to get it done without her too.

I love beer, I love craft beer, I love my homebrew even more. I do not buy beer in the store unless I run out of hombrew. 2 months ago I didn't brew a lot so I fell behind on my stash.

I really enjoy going to the microbreweries and brew-pubs where I live. They have unique beers that are not available in the stores, only in growlers direct from the brewer. But I only eat at restaurants that have good beer (more than BMC).

I will not say that "my beer is the only good beer out there," because that is not true, some homebrewers probably make much better beer than I do and there are great craft brews out there. But it has been since Christmas since I've had a domestic.

The wife and I brew together. She takes an interest in just about any hobby or activity that I pick up. When we brew, I do most of the work and she makes sure I don't forget anything. When we bottle, I prep the bottles and she fills them and I cap them.
She was very disappointed the other day when I bottled without her. It took a lot more time to get it done without her too.
Ironically, this is the EXACT same way brew and bottling day goes at our house... good times.

I know my tastebuds have evolved quite a bit over time. I used to love everything sam adams put out (minus the cherry wheat yuck!!) but now I can't remember the last time I bought any. My wife supports my hobby, but doesn't sound like she's as into it as your fiance, she'll come out and toss in the hops so she can say she helped, and doesn't mind hanging out and drinking as long as the weather is decent. she's gone from MGD lite to porters in about 10 years, still isn't real fond of the stouts yet, but I'm working on it!
If you like samuel smiths, look around for Jamils oatmeal stout recipe, I've done it in the past, and it's about spot on. I'm trying out a new cooler today with a pretty reliable shaksepeare stout recipe can't wait to try this one. all hail the darkside

My next stout will be a recipe I whipped up in Alchemy, but after that I will definitely take a look at Jamil's per your advice... thanks ahead of time on that one!!! I'll be shooting for a VERY thick brew with mine... something I can almost chew :p

Back