Third year Cascade don't have any cones

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bionut

Reaction score
Hello brewers,
i have a three years old Cascade plant that in the first two years produced quite a bit o cones. This year it didn't produced any flowers, and i have no ideea why. Even the plants that i made last year by rooting cuttings from the main Cascade produced some cones.
In tje spring i trained the plant on two string, with 4 vines on each. Could it this be the fault? Two much vines for the root to grow? I just cutted all but 3 vines to see if it will make some flowers.
From your experience is it possible for a hop plant to flower late in the year but still mature the cones? (the other plants i have already turned the flower into cones).

Hello brewers,
i have a three years old Cascade plant that in the first two years produced quite a bit o cones. This year it didn't produced any flowers, and i have no ideea why. Even the plants that i made last year by rooting cuttings from the main Cascade produced some cones.
In tje spring i trained the plant on two string, with 4 vines on each. Could it this be the fault? Two much vines for the root to grow? I just cutted all but 3 vines to see if it will make some flowers.
From your experience is it possible for a hop plant to flower late in the year but still mature the cones? (the other plants i have already turned the flower into cones).

I usually don't see cones until mid July. They're not ready to pick until labor day. Give them some time, surely the cones will show.

I will wait for the cones to show. Saaz, Norther Brewer and Hallertauer already have cones, that's why i am concerned.
I also pick the cones around september (by Labour Day i thought you mean may first :D)

It really depends on where you live. I live in Hop Country and burrs are showing up on all my plants....even have a few little cones on my Fuggles.

I live in Romania, 46 degrees north hemisphere. My younger Cascade plants also have flower burrs, not the older though. I will see in a few weeks if it will grow any. I will post back.

I live in Romania, 46 degrees north hemisphere. My younger Cascade plants also have flower burrs, not the older though. I will see in a few weeks if it will grow any. I will post back.

Is there any reason that your crown has been stressed. We had a gopher eat the root of one of our plants...took a year to recover...

I don't know is the crown is damaged, but the plant grew very well, is the same height as the others, but no flower burrs. The tips seems very nice and green, maybe it got a late start and will throw burrs soon. We'll see.

The plant its throwing burrs, but is not looking very healthy, it has very few leafs. I will post some photos later.

This are the burrs. In the second picture you can see 4 plants. The slimest in the Cascade.

2015-06-21 11.41.07.jpg

2015-06-21 11.44.13.jpg

Nice, i also have another Cascade plants (cuttings planted last year and rhizomes planted this spring) that have nice cones. The older plant suffered something, i don't know what, but now it seems it will recover.

Back