Third time's a charm!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

curtw

Reaction score
I had to post about my happiness in finally doing a successful AG brew.

My first one: I measured gravity post-mash (pre-boil), and it seemed low, so I added 2# of DME. Little did I know about the difference between pre- and post-boil gravity, and so I ended up with wort that was 20 gravity points too high...

My second one: I apparently had a terrible grain crush, and so had horrible efficiency: very low gravity into the fermenter. Adding 2# of honey 2 days into fermentation salvaged it, but it wasn't exactly all to spec.

My third one yesterday: Everything went great! Pre-boil gravity of 1.037; post-boil (pitch-time) gravity of 1.047; Brewer's Friend says a "pre-boil efficiency" of 74%, and a "brew house efficiency" of 70% (this was BIAB).

Fingers crossed that this ends up as good as it started! Big thanks to all on this forum who help newbies like myself.

Good job! I still make mistakes of various types. Savor the perfect brewday!

I've found that a perfect brew day is hard to come by, even for the experienced brewers. We've just gotten so good at handling mistakes that an outside observer probably wouldn't even realize anything went wrong.

Back