Third cider- tried something different

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ludesbrews

Reaction score
What’s up guys?

I am currently working on my third small batch(es) of cider. I took 2 gallons of 100% Apple juice as I have done before and divided the liquid between 3 1 gallon carboys.

I put a bit of cinnamon in each and threw different types of sugar in each- all measured.

I checked this morning and after 1 night, each have quite a thick foam on the top with slow bubbling in the airlock- about one bubble ever 4-5 seconds. According to my notes, the last few ciders I made bubbles quicker than this.

Could this be due to the fact that there is more air (less liquid) per carboy?

Cheers,
Ludesbrews

Same yeast(s), room temp, OG as before??

Your day after pinch airlock bubble rate seems consistent with some of the yeasts I've used... Some yeasts are slower, others faster...

Yeah, Same everything. May be a degree or two warmer but that may be it.

Yeah, Same everything. May be a degree or two warmer but that may be it.

Non chemical engineer guess...and from personal observations...greater the headspace...longer it takes for airlock bubbles to reach their top rate.

Good luck!

Air lock bubbling only tells you that some type of gas is escaping the carboy. You can take an empty carboy, put in the the freezer overnight, pull it out and put an air lock on it and it will bubble as it warms up. If you are going to experiment, and care enough to notice air lock bubble rate, you should get a hydrometer for more accurate readings. Otherwise, relax and have a home brew.
Different amounts of sugar will result in different amounts of alcohol, not sweetness as table sugar is 100% fermentable. So unless you dumped in enough to reach the alcohol tolerance of your yeast you will end up with 3 carboys of dry cider with different amounts of alcohol in them. And no, just dumping sugar to boost the booze is not a good thing as it tastes like crap if you go to far. You want cider, not prison hootch!
Basicallay, either relax and don’t worry about it, or get a sciencey on it, but then you need the tools to do that.

Back