Thinking of trying a kiwi wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rjolin01

Reaction score
I was browsing Ritebrew and came across a kit of Wheat Beer that says it meant as a base for a fruit beer. It got me thinking of what type of fruit beer would I like to try. And that's when it hit me, I don't recall ever seeing a kiwi fruit beer out there. So I am contemplating giving it a go. Thing is I am not sure how many kiwis to add? I am thinking maybe 4 kiwis for two weeks in secondary. I would peel them so to give better access to the tartness and juice of the fruit. Should I purée them? Any additive you suggest to help? I was also thinking putting in some strawberries since I think they compliment kiwi.

Looking for any input you all have.

Thanks and cheers

I made a strawberry kiwi cider about 6 months ago. I forget how many strawberries I used, but I think I used 1 lb of kiwis. I skinned the kiwis, and sliced them up with the strawberries. I added potassium metabisulfite and let it sit for a day. Then I racked the cider onto it. It came out fairly strong on the kiwi tartness, but not quite as strong on the flavor. Overall it has been liked by friends. Hope this helps!

Is the potassium metabisulfate recommended to use with fruits in beers also?

I believe it is. It prevents yeast reproduction, but it will decompose over 24 hours. This will allow the fresh pitched yeast to still reproduce and ferment normally.

Back