Thinking of making a Strong Ale (extract)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shmohel

Reaction score
As the week winds down, I am thinking of beginning my next batch of beer. I was thinking of making a real strong English ale. I have been browsing around, and have settled upon the grains I am going to use.

3 lb 2-row
1 lb Munich
1 lb 60L
1 lb Cara-pils
1 lb Wheat
lots o' extract

However, I am not too sure what kind of Hops I want to use. I have bene looking at different recipes, and I have seen all sorts being used. Any suggestions? What kinds would you usually associate with the Strong Ale style?

Wow. that is a good article, may have me rethinking some of my ideas. I have never started a yeast like that in the manner described in the article.

This is going to be a fun project!

Yeast starters rock! I went for years without going to the 'trouble' of making them. Now, I won't brew without first making one. They jump-start the fermentation. I usually see activity in the primary fermenter within a few hours. Before I made starters, it would usually take 24 hrs! And, like the article states, they are really needed for high-gravity brews.

Here's a good thread on starters from a few days ago: Starters!

Latest posts

Back