thinking of a banana type stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yes, i loved them as a baby

EDIT: Oh, in beer? Nope never done that. Never heard of a banana stout either. Here is a recipe for banana wine though.

lol.never tried
zippo.bmp

I, too, would use a hefeweizen yeast because it would seem easier and more certain to produce the banana flavor I'd be looking for.

That said, I guess I've never read about bananas being used as an adjunct or flavoring before, though I see no reason why they couldn't serve in either role. It might just take more experimentation to get there.

ChrisKennedy said:
Eh, I would sooner simply use a hefe yeast in a stout than try to put bananas in the beer.

Even then.... I am not seeing it. Or at least I am not seeing anything worth drinking :eek:

deathweed said:
Even then.... I am not seeing it. Or at least I am not seeing anything worth drinking :eek:
I can see it working. Think banana bread. Hefeweizen yeast for banana flavor. Maybe some heavy-handed use of maris otter to get a pleasant nutty flavor. Classic combination.

Jack said:
I can see it working. Think banana bread. Hefeweizen yeast for banana flavor. Maybe some heavy-handed use of maris otter to get a pleasant nutty flavor. Classic combination.

to make it a stout, you are going to have to go heavy on the chocolate and/or black patent malts. I could see the chocolate going well, but roasted bananas? I think I felt my stomach turn....

deathweed said:
to make it a stout, you are going to have to go heavy on the chocolate and/or black patent malts. I could see the chocolate going well, but roasted bananas? I think I felt my stomach turn....
Ok... I'll agree with you there. What I was describing would probably fit better into the category of a brown ale. And besides, a banana brown ale is more alliterative than a banana stout. :ban:

Jack said:
Ok... I'll agree with you there. What I was describing would probably fit better into the category of a brown ale. And besides, a banana brown ale is more alliterative than a banana stout. :ban:

Hummm witha little biscut malt throw in? I still wouldn't brew it, but if someone wants to try and post back here, I would be willing to read about it :)

The whole idea intrigues me quite a bit. Chocolate and banana go very well together, and the spicy phenols from the hefeweizen yeast also would work well in there.

Definitely lay off the black patent, though. I would keep this stout heavier on the chocolate malt with enough roasted barley to bring the coffee in right. My LHBS even had some dark wheat which might work well in this.

TL

If someone wants to throw together a recipe I would do a PM of it. I have never used any dark malts and I am very hesitant on proportions in beer. Seriously, this beer sound delicious. I want to swim in it and in the winter I want to freeze it and skate on it!!.

I like my beer/ale to taste like beer. If I want bananna I will go eat something that has bananna. There are limits, like the guy who made pizza beer. He actually took garlic and basil and other spices and made a beer that tasted like pizza. He then got a brewery to make his beer and sell it. I guess anything goes in beer.

Thx for responses---I actually have recipe whipped up and am changing it to a lighter ale---I will add the banana i the fermenter before pitching. I dont think it will give off a banana taste, just eat the sugars out of it and maybe get a slight twang--not sure-- anyways Ill let you guys know when I get to drink it--

Bananna esters yes. I made a german hefe double batch (24 gallons) last summer and I only had room for 2 carboys in the fridge. The two carboys that were outside the fridge were brought into the house and it is air conditioned but I think it got up to 72 in the room and that means the actual beer temp exceeded 75 and so it had too much bananna. The beer in the fridge was great as the esters were appropriate for German Hefe. The yeast was WLP300. If I make it this summer it will be in the fridge.

A strong chocolate body with just a tiny hint of banana at the finish actually sounds good to me. It sounds like a perfect fall/winter beer to me.

My 2 cents

well i did it--made a strong ass stout and added a few bananas--will post results in a few months

okbrewman said:
any1 tried pureed bananas yet?

I'm doing a banana beer right now!!! Its got 5 lbs of bananas in it, if my memory is correct 20 bananas. I'm calling it a banana cream ale. I thinking it'll be a tad bit dark though.

Its in the 2ndary right now. Its gonna be there for a bit longer, about two weeks.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?p=638478#post638478

If you want to be really off the wall try a banana-coconut cream stout.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=48142

Schlenkerla said:
I'm doing a banana beer right now!!! Its got 5 lbs of bananas in it, if my memory is correct 20 bananas. I'm calling it a banana cream ale. I thinking it'll be a tad bit dark though.

Its in the 2ndary right now. Its gonna be there for a bit longer, about two weeks.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?p=638478#post638478

If you want to be really off the wall try a banana-coconut cream stout.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=48142

nice--I like your style---holla in here and let us know how it taste when your done if you dont mind:mug:

Back